Sign in to follow this  
orb

question about meditation basics and side effects

Hi all,

I have just finished both books by Kosta Danaos "Magus of Java" and "Nei Kung" and would like to adopt the simple meditation techniques that are described in his books. I don't have a teacher for internal martial arts. Previously I had bad experience with Mantak Chia's techniques and I guess my question is if anybody knows about any side effects from a simple meditation like the one in the books. I will describe exactly what I'm trying to do and if anybody feels I'm missing something please let me know.

I am doing my meditation twice a day early in the morning and late in the evening in half lotus position.

Question: does it matter wich leg is on top ? also Does it really matter if my hands are facing downwards or upwards ?

I am meditating for 15 min trying to work my way up to 45 min. Trying to keep my attention in Dantien the whole time.

Question: is it ok during my usual activities throughout the day to try to keep my attention in Dantien for example when I'm working in the garden or when I'm cleaning the house ?

Also I was wondering if it's ok to sit in the outside in the grass or am I prone to catching pneumonia and dying with all my attention in Dantien.

I also have similar questions about the ma-bu position but I guess I'll wait to see what kind of answers I get here first.

Thank you for all your help.

V/R Orb.

Question: does it matter wich leg is on top ? also Does it really matter if my hands are facing downwards or upwards ?

If you are starting out, whats important is to relax. Until you are relaxed, meditation wont happen, you will be trying. Seating position is important but not as important. More important is to sit relaxed, SMILE, and let it happen.

Question: is it ok during my usual activities throughout the day to try to keep my attention in Dantien for example when I'm working in the garden or when I'm cleaning the house ?

YES, Once you understand, everything we do can become and should become meditation. Being with what we are doing, and not somewhere else!

Also I was wondering if it's ok to sit in the outside in the grass or am I prone to catching pneumonia and dying with all my attention in Dantien.

Be reasonable, If the weather is decent sit outside. If its too cold, no need to torture yourself. There are practices/techniques to overcome hardships, but i would say relax. Buddha experimented with all techniques and then choose the middle way, and he was enlightened when he let it go.

Sign in to follow this