Hi everyone. I have had terrible sinus problems for years. Deviated septum, surgery gone bad, and multiple rounds of antibiotics every year. In the last years after cutting out all dairy completely I feel great, as if I never had a problem. Thing is, my family has started eating kefir which they make themselves from the alive organisms in the jar (not the bottled thing you buy in the store). They say they feel great and I'm tempted to try. I am afraid though because  they use milk and it's really the only way to make it right. The easy answer would be just try it and see but I don't want to enter that ring again. Anyone has any experience with this or any opinion? Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

I think you can give it a try -- many people who have bad reactions to nonfermented dairy have no problem with fermented of good quality, and homemade kefir would be my first choice for such an experiment.  There's people in my family who don't tolerate whole milk at all but drink kefir with no detrimental effects.  Of course these things are individual, and not necessarily your case, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, no way around it.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Yes you are right, there really is no way around it. I am just  horrified because a simple infection can lead very quickly to antibiotics for me and I am not in the mood for that right now. 

If you feel it's too risky, for your peace of mind just don't eat it.  I hope there's no kefir enforcement in your family! :) 

For a good probiotic food you can look beyond dairy -- for instance, fermented vegetables (not canned and without preservatives) are great.  If, e.g., you mastered the skill of making homemade sauerkraut, you would be your family's hero.  Tricky for a beginner, you may screw up a couple of times till you get it right, but once you know what you're doing, it's fairly easy and very healthy, not to mention tasty.       

• Like 1

No it's not a family thing whatsoever. I just mentioned it. The fermented cabbage is a lot trickier in a whole lot of things. The videos I've seen on YouTube are just not worth the trouble. Plus it's not alive like the kefir ( actually I could be very well mistaken about that).