Sign in to follow this  
kakapo

Monkey Ladder Experiment.

Posted (edited)

This is possibly fictional in nature, but interesting to consider.

Researchers placed a group of five monkey's in large enclosure. 

In the enclosure was a step ladder and at the top of the ladder was a bunch of bananas.

Whenever a monkey would try to climb the ladder, it would trigger a system to spray all the monkeys with freezing cold water. 

Once all 5 monkey's learned not to climb the ladder, they removed one trained monkey, and replaced it with a new monkey that had not received the cold water treatment.

They removed the automatic cold water spraying system.

When the new monkey went for the ladder, the other 4 monkeys grabbed and beat him.

Each time he tried he was beaten, until he learned not to climb the ladder.

The researchers then replaced each monkey until none of the remaining monkeys had ever been blasted with cold water.

Replacing a monkey again,  the new generation of monkeys actively prevented the new monkey from going near the ladder.

The new generation of monkey's only had social conditioning but no direct knowledge of why they couldn't climb the ladder.

While this story might not be true, it is still an interesting idea to consider.

What sorts of social norms might we follow that have no connection to reality?

What sub optimal actions might we take because that is what society expects of us?

What things does the group consensus dictate that might be false?

Edited by kakapo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

:D

Basically like this forum and the countless lower tantien & MCO threads, people carry on with the same useless discussions without knowing exactly why. 

Edit: the I don't know why but I must read a lot of books on this subject as if the more I read the better for my progress.

Of course the grandaddy of  all: enlightenment.

It all falls under the banner of "spiritual materialism."

Edited by Gerard
  • Confused 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:58 PM, kakapo said:

This is possibly fictional in nature, but interesting to consider.

Researchers placed a group of five monkey's in large enclosure. 

In the enclosure was a step ladder and at the top of the ladder was a bunch of bananas.

Whenever a monkey would try to climb the ladder, it would trigger a system to spray all the monkeys with freezing cold water. 

Once all 5 monkey's learned not to climb the ladder, they removed one trained monkey, and replaced it with a new monkey that had not received the cold water treatment.

They removed the automatic cold water spraying system.

When the new monkey went for the ladder, the other 4 monkeys grabbed and beat him.

Each time he tried he was beaten, until he learned not to climb the ladder.

The researchers then replaced each monkey until none of the remaining monkeys had ever been blasted with cold water.

Replacing a monkey again,  the new generation of monkeys actively prevented the new monkey from going near the ladder.

The new generation of monkey's only had social conditioning but no direct knowledge of why they couldn't climb the ladder.

While this story might not be true, it is still an interesting idea to consider.

What sorts of social norms might we follow that have no connection to reality?

What sub optimal actions might we take because that is what society expects of us?

What things does the group consensus dictate that might be false?

An awful  lot !

Why ?   I had this converse yesterday . I guess its because  for some it feels easier, less threatening,  best not to go against the norm .... I mean , everyone else is doing it , it must be for a reason . To do something else requires effort, possibly a threat , a 'rocking of the boat' and subtle types of ostracism ; being primates , and  preferring to live in extended family groups , ostracism is a big threat to us .

Sign in to follow this