Sign in to follow this  
Vajra Mind

Dzogchen and Dr Yannis Toussulis

Most people search for wisdom teaching and once they find it, they devote themselves for it. However, in the case of Dr Yannis Toussulis, it was the other way around, Dzogchen teachings found him.

Dr Yannis Toussulis had a lucid dream of Ekajati (the principal guardian of the Dzogchen) pointing to him to practice under Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche and take a form of Vajrakilaya Yidam.

He practiced under Khen Rimpoche for a while but then he converted to Sufism (Qadri Rifai) later and left Dzogchen practice.

Do you think his good fortune because of past lives karmic connections?

How would moving through different schools affect spiritual progress?

Dzogchen is still my primary practice after over 25 years. It is direct pointing, and a true blessing where it arises and meets an inquisitive mind. Having said that, the reality of emptiness is present moment to moment everywhere when you know where to look.

A pointer from any non-dual tradition will suffice for the right person. There are no higher (or lower) paths. Sufism is a fine vehicle for insight and could work just as well for a particular type of person. I myself explored Daoism, Sufism, and other paths before finding resonance with Nyingma/Dzogchen as well as Soto Zen, eventually. 

Insight doesn't happen because of fortune or past lives. Insight happens when causes and conditions meet naked awareness in singular moment outside of causation. If you want to know whether you have the karma to find insight, or a particular set of teachings, look at YOUR story of the past. Intention is what matters here. Choosing in this moment to dedicate yourself to a path you have confidence in, and intending to attain enlightenment for benefit of all sentient beings is a good start. 

Hi stirling. Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you in that good intentions is a good start but also good thoughts, good speech and good deeds. They purify our minds to perceive high truths. 

However, I believe that all this good stuff is tainted and impure because they are rooted in the SELF, the "I". Thinking "I will benefit all sentient beings" might cause further clinging  to and solidification of the "I" and "others". Truly pure merits can only come after the "I" have long gone "Anatman", In such being there is no calculated EGO or "I", the good deeds comes out spontaneously just like the Sun being impersonal without "I" without "me" and "them" does shine at all beings without discrimination without fear or desire. 

I initially was attracted to Buddhism by the Dzogchen/Vajrayana/Mahayana but upon further contemplation, I have noticed that they are too dense with myths and dogmas. Even their followers seemed to me to have total blind faith just like Abrahamic religious fanatics (Sufism and Kabbalah included) that I run away from. Let me share some of the things I read from great scholars of Dzogchen:

Just studying and understanding Dzogchen you are somehow saved.

Arahants have incomplete or less enlightment than Mahayanist Bodhisattvas and they will be saved by Buddhas 

Virupa miracle making the Sun stand still (just like Jewish Jashua Sun miracle standing still or Muslim Ali Bin Abe Talib returning the Sun all can be refuted historically for such cosmic event never took place). 

Buddhafeilds

Dzogchen is the only vehicle for irreversible Buddhahood.

Boddhisattvas vows not to go Nirvana until the last sentient being is saved. 

The list goes much longer......

When I look around I see a universe that doesn't give a dime about our enlightenment let alone Bodhisattvas delaying or controlling their own fate, especially that Buddha himself was omniscient not omnipotent and this is perhaps why you find protectors of the teachings are usually long living subjugated/converted spirits not Boddhisattvas themselves who made vows to enlighten all sentient beings.

In summary, I currently feel more inclined to the original Buddhas teachings (Theravada school) as they make more sense to me. 

But I like to hear from you or from anyone else if I have flaws in my understanding or thinking. 

33 minutes ago, Vajra Mind said:

I agree with you in that good intentions is a good start but also good thoughts, good speech and good deeds. They purify our minds to perceive high truths. 

Absolutely. 

However, I believe that all this good stuff is tainted and impure because they are rooted in the SELF, the "I". Thinking "I will benefit all sentient beings" might cause further clinging  to and solidification of the "I" and "others". Truly pure merits can only come after the "I" have long gone "Anatman", In such being there is no calculated EGO or "I", the good deeds comes out spontaneously just like the Sun being impersonal without "I" without "me" and "them" does shine at all beings without discrimination without fear or desire. 

Only at the realization of an arahant would you be completely free of "self" view. Until then, I would personally suggest you work on softening and reducing your karma.

Working for the benefit of all sentient beings is one of many methods for reducing self-cherishing. Being that it is probably impossible for you to do anything at all without involvement of the "self", you might has well work on purifying your obscurations and reducing self-cherishing now. The Lojong teachings are specifically for working on increasing bodhicitta and reducing self-cherishing.

I initially was attracted to Buddhism by the Dzogchen/Vajrayana/Mahayana but upon further contemplation, I have noticed that they are too dense with myths and dogmas. Even their followers seemed to me to have total blind faith just like Abrahamic religious fanatics (Sufism and Kabbalah included) that I run away from.

Each student is taught according to their ability. There are many relative teachings with cosmological (though metaphorical) basis. Dzoghen itself couldn't be more simple, once understood. 

I also have no taste for mythology or dogma. Can you sit in meditative absorption with your mind quiet and empty in Rigpa? Ask yourself how much dogma or mythology exists in that space. 

Let me share some of the things I read from great scholars of Dzogchen:

Just studying and understanding Dzogchen you are somehow saved.

Arahants have incomplete or less enlightment than Mahayanist Bodhisattvas and they will be saved by Buddhas 

Virupa miracle making the Sun stand still (just like Jewish Jashua Sun miracle standing still or Muslim Ali Bin Abe Talib returning the Sun all can be refuted historically for such cosmic event never took place). 

Buddhafeilds

Dzogchen is the only vehicle for irreversible Buddhahood.

Boddhisattvas vows not to go Nirvana until the last sentient being is saved. 

The list goes much longer......

You may not know what you are looking at there.

When I look around I see a universe that doesn't give a dime about our enlightenment let alone Bodhisattvas delaying or controlling their own fate, especially that Buddha himself was omniscient not omnipotent and this is perhaps why you find protectors of the teachings are usually long living subjugated/converted spirits not Boddhisattvas themselves who made vows to enlighten all sentient beings.

You are right. Everything is already always enlightened, so why would there be a need for anything to be different? The only thing a Buddha, Boddhisattva, or you are in charge of is how we respond to what happens in the world. Again, it is a matter of perspective. Many of the things we take for granted are nonsense from the perspective of enlightened mind. 

In summary, I currently feel more inclined to the original Buddhas teachings (Theravada school) as they make more sense to me. 

But I like to hear from you or from anyone else if I have flaws in my understanding or thinking. 

You should absolutely choose whatever path you are drawn to!

You may one day be surprised to realize that the end of the path lef you at the same destination as the other paths. :)

Best of luck with your work in Theravada!

Why is Dr Yannis Toussulis important?

There are tons of people who migrate between all kinds of teachings. Some people join Daesh or suicide cults in the end. We are free to believe and follow whatever we want, and change our minds - for better or worse. Sometimes we don't understand what we are dealing with - or we believe we do when in reality we don't.

The most important passage in your post is " I currently feel more inclined to ... teachings ... as they make more sense to me."
Understanding is important, and insight is important, and you seem to be in a better place practice-wise now.

Best of luck with your path!

M

• Like 1

Thank you Mandrake and wish you the best in life. 

Dr. Yannis seemed important to me because he received a clear calling by Dzogchen guardians in vision, this perhaps could be a sign that he is worthy person! I never had visions but had few dreams seems related to Padmasambhava and Dzogchen. 

I have lots of gaps in my knowledge and try to fill in these gaps with lots of reading, discussing and practicing. I my case I have also migrated from more than one system to another but Buddhist teachings on nature of reality, emptiness, noble truths convinced me of this path 100%. Yet there are still lurking questions and gaps within me. 

I have posted another thread on why among the many Dzogchen practitioners in the west, the atomic body of Treckcho has not been reported yet? 

Sign in to follow this