Ethan singh

Different types of xian

Hello everyone my name is Ethan Singh 

I hope to learn more about this topic from you guys 

apart of me learning is me asking questions to improve my understanding 

I read that there are two different types of xian which are 

long lived Dixian ( earth xian ) who specialize in yangsheng and 

immortal tianxian ( heaven xian ) who specialize in alchemy 

I am more interested in dixian than tianxian because the more and more I read up on immortality in taoism the more and more they begin to strongly imply that you have to die to achieve immortality and that immortality can only be achieved via a spiritual body ( which is totally understandable anything else would sound crazy for obvious reasons ) 

dixian can manage longevity by cultivating natural life ( yangsheng ) 

ingesting medicines is the root of longevity 

when one ingests Shendan ( divine elixir ) and jingye ( golden liquor )  one may achieve real longevity 

I mean longevity by Taoist standards ( supposedly skilled taoists can regularly live to be 150 while more skilled taoists ( the exceptional ones can live to be over 250 years old ) 

Even if one practices breathing, diet, meditation, and exercise then all they are doing is delaying their death by a few decades at most 

For example if you take very good care of your health then one may live from 85 years old which is about the average lifespan worldwide to perhaps 115 years old but this will be their limit 

For if one wishes to live far beyond this age ( for example 200 to 300 years of old of which I have found several historical Chinese accounts of people living this long ) then they must obtain the divine elixir and golden liquor 

can someone please explain what the divine elixir and golden liquor are and in particular how to achieve it 

I already have some idea about what all of this above might mean but as a deep thinker myself I am not stupid enough to think that I know everything ( which I do not ) so rather I wish to be more well informed by those who are more experienced in these kinds of things 

Seniors please impart your knowledge and wisdom upon me 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ethan singh said:

I read that there are two different types of xian which are long lived Dixian ( earth xian ) who specialize in yangsheng and immortal tianxian ( heaven xian ) who specialize in alchemy 

these are two consecutive stages of the same alchemical method. practicer must go through di stage first to achieve the tian stage. and conversely without getting a bit of xian first, there can be no di. there is nor can be no effective yangsheng  which is separate of alchemy.

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 1

Di Xian - Earth immortal. It is simply the attainment of the elixir. Human spirit becomes spirit of Yang. Can be deluded. Still have flaws. If you behave badly, Dao will kill you.

You seek out of sense of self preservation rather than selflessness.

Therefore, you will never find the true path. Or, if you do, you will die and end up lower than where you began.

One must become fully selfless to gain true immortality.