Sign in to follow this  
Franky

Is there a good guide for The Tibetan Book of The Dead?

I'm going to go work in Western Sichuan in a Shangri La province soon to teach college students, It's mostly Tibetan, like Tibet but with less red tape (and unfortunately, without the 8000'ers). But it's probably the most authentic Tibetan experience a Foreigner can get in China. Anyways, I'm trying to study up on Tibetan Buddhism, as many of my students will be such, by reading The Tibetan Book of the dead. But I must admit it's making my head spin. It's easier than reading Derrida, but that's not saying much. It's a lot of bow down to peaceful and wrathful deities, again and again. 

I watched the 1990's video, narrated by Leonard Cohen, which seemed comprehensibly packaged for an uneducated westerner, but this book is almost Greek to me. I want to finish it before going to China, as my copy isn't legal there, due to one person's introduction. The book itself is legal in China, as long as certain people didn't contribute... you can guess who they are. I also don't want to instigate some schism between Tankies and Shangri La believers either (if there are any on this forum, don't take it personal), as I've heard both sides of that story. I just want to know if there are some good resources to prepare me for this book in English.

I have the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition if that helps anybody.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this