MrCorinthian

Mantak Chia.

I'm just curious because I've seen different things(opinions)online. What do people really think of him and why?

I've had some of his work , I just practiced a little then went elsewhere, I'd just want thoughts on this before I practice his teachings again.

Mantak's got a bit of a thorny reputation here.

I read his material in my early exploration years and found some useful info there.  But then, I've had the great benefit to have encountered experienced teachers with whom I could bounce said info of and gain the benefit of their knowledge of me and such concept's context in my own life and current conditions. 

Over the years, there have been a plethora of folks arriving here, experiencing deep suffering seeking help to correct imbalances in their system they encountered after reading his material and applying what was offered to themselves without an experienced teacher in the mix.  These are incredibly deep and complex subtle structures and some of his info regards tactics that have intense impact.

Consider this, the book has no inkling of where you are personally or what your conditioning has been, and so some of what is offered while it may be real within the context of some schools, is not necessarily helpful at all stages of practice, nor to all people at their stage, nor compatible with other practices you may be engaged in.  There are practices I engage in now, in middle age, that would have been downright dangerous in my 20's (or have unwanted impacts on others in the same house).

I always freely explore info, but when deciding to incorporate any of it in practical application.  Bounce it off my in person teacher.  When in doubt, I maintain the turtle approach.  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  (especially if you have a million 20th's to work with :P)

In the absence of a teacher, I hold with foundational practices I've already been exposed to and let them ripen and deepen... and deepen they do.

And this has served me well for in the long run, it's been a welcome surprise that some of the first things I was ever taught which at the time seemed to me so 'mundane' and pedantic, and I intently wished to be 'passed them' for the 'real stuff'... over time evolved with me and revealed to be among the most powerful, transformative and highest of practices reaping all the benefits I was seeking in my early endeavors.

When in doubt and of late, I tend toward sitting in a simple acknowledging silence and abide as I am, where I am. 

Few things have been more transformative to my local awareness than simple raw beingness.

• Like 5

I learned the perineum channel from his books. Its not taught 100% completely, in my opinion,  but there is the basis. Also, the thing about water chi of the earth is great too. Im not sure if I extract it completely  the way he teaches, but the water is very real.

For yang chi maybe Damo Mitchell is better I think, although maybe not perfect either.

Edited by salaam123