aotvoid

Odd forms of Cartomancy

I saw there's a Tarot Bums forum (hopefully this doesn't belong there) but does anyone else use playing cards or Lenormand cards in divination here? Just curious. I've used both, as well as Tarot and various oracle decks, but I think playing cards are a special favorite so far...while on that note, what oracle decks, if any, do you all prefer?

I appreciate Tarot.  Though I seldom consult it, I have several decks, mostly for the appreciation of their art and symbolism. 

For consulting insights outside my perspective, I've always resonated with the Elder Futhark Runes and use them regularly.  Recently I've felt a draw to explore the I-Ching.  That topic however seems incredibly vast and thus rather unapproachable for now.

Alongside the Runes, I use two decks.  A Druidic deck and a set of Lakota Medicine cards, that I find really augment and compliment the Runes in perspective offered.  They draw on the energetic signatures of animals from both the Celtic and Native American Plains Indigenous cultures cosmology.

One of the Bums here has also been creating his own divination deck and has posted about it several times as he's been developing it and printing.  If I can find it I'll post a link to the topic, you or others may find it interesting.  I was rather blown away by his skill with layout and design.

Found it straight away.  He's managed to create a workable card version of casting Yi-Ching throws and they're absolutely captivating in my opinion.  Here's the link to his convo asking for feedback.

That's really neat regarding the I Ching cards, and they're beautiful. I found @remod 's account on DA, I might see about picking some of those up when I get back into it. I like the I Ching and have a set of six coins I use for it every now and then but I have to be honest and admit I don't know what I'm doing with it. Cards would be quite fine for my purposes though, even though I've set the I Ching aside for a while again...

I actually use a set of Ogam cards (Taoism and Druidry being my main paths) and I do have an elder futhark rune stave set; still more or less learning the former and latter at a snail's pace. In terms of Tarot decks, I'm mostly the same way for now; I use it now and then and have four or five decks but several of them I really just like the art for, and generally I use the Shadowscapes deck or the Crowley/Thoth Tarot.

As for oracle decks, I use the Angelarium one, the Faery Oracle one, and two different animal decks intermittently; I've also got a "Flowers of the Night" one or something kicking around (the latter's fun, the former four kinda help me interact with different orders of beings/spirits I feel).

I don't really know why playing cards appeal so much to me but they're really good for hard boiled, down to earth reads, and it's easy to build and tinker with  your own system with them...oh they're pretty inconspicuous to carry around, among other things.

Hi Guys!
@silent thunder, Very nice of you to remember me! Life is treating me rather well. I should not complain (still I do from time to time :) ). How is it going for you?
@aotvoid, I'm happy you liked my cards. I posted most of them on DA, some on this forum, and collected some of them also here: http://decks.castingiching.com/ I must confess I'm not sure I published on the web all of them, I just made too many :)

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the other decks you mentioned but, if you are interested, I can help you devising a deck that could get you closer to the I Ching.

Designing a new deck means answering these few questions:

• Would you use the cards for tracking the lines when casting?
  • Would you use the cards for casting the lines?
  • Would you like to be able to cast multiple lines at once (e.g. an entire trigram)
  • If used for both, would you prefer to have separate designs for tracking and casting?
  • How many cards would you prefer to use when casting (1/2/3/4/5/8/...)?
  • Which odds do you expect to get (yarrow stalks/three coins/don't care)?
  • Any preference for the size (poker/tarot/business card)?
  • Any preference for the style? (i.e. Chinese related, abstract, no images, b/w, ...)

I can suggest options and move from there.

Of course, this is open to anyone interested :)

• Like 2