Janus

Best translation of the Tao Te Ching?

What is the "best" translation though? Which one transmits the Tao must truthfully?

I say this because I think a cultivators translation would be more accurate then a scholars.

Hi Janus,
Not for everybody, but my fav is Nine Nights with the Taoist Master, by Waysun Liao. It is easily the most coherent and meaningful translation I've read (and I've read quite a few since Liao's translation got me hooked) and the most relevant to chi practice. Check out the reviews on Amazon and see if you get intrigued like I did. I've actually read it about ten times now, a new record for me for any book.

I'm a big fan of Red Pine's version. He is an experienced cultivator, as well as an accomplished translator of Chinese poetry and sutras. He did his homework too. He compared recently discovered (and earlier) Mawangdui versions with the previously accepted versions, and made revisions as seemed appropriate, which he describes in brief notes accompanying each verse. The Chinese is right there next to the translation if you want to work with that, and he includes short comments on each verse from various historical figures.

None of that would mean much to me if he didn't reveal the Tao Te Ching in such stark simplicity. His word choices are simple and direct, as opposed to the conceptual layering that makes its way into most other translations.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I read the online one Patrick. I thought it was very nice. Useful advice when I get into the "what am I suppose to do?" mindstate. I got to understand the Taiji a little through meditation, but I figure the Tao Te Ching has got to be worth reading.

Cheya- that books pretty expensive, I might get it some day though...

Todd, I'll probably order Red Pines version, he wrote a book on Bodhidharma teachings too. Have you read that?

Well I'll probably get that too :D

What I always wondered was whether Bodhidharma achieved full enlightenment, like liberation from birth and death. It's never mentioned. I guess thats not the most important thing though....

Todd, I'll probably order Red Pines version, he wrote a book on Bodhidharma teachings too. Have you read that?

I have the translation of Bodhidharma's teachings, but I haven't read most of it. I guess I was more curious than drawn to it.

Hi,

I haven't read the Tao Te Ching, but it seems like something I'll get round to. What is the "best" translation though? Which one transmits the Tao must truthfully?

I say this because I think a cultivators translation would be more accurate then a scholars.

Cheers,

Janus

Hi Janus,

You may also want to check out "Revealing the Tao Te Ching: In-depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic",

by Hu Xuezhi (Author), and Jesse Lee Parker (Editor).

Link: "Revealing the Tao Te Ching" by Hu Xuezhi

Hu Xuezhi is a practitioner and teacher of taoist internal alchemy meditation in China. This book is

edited by Jesse Lee Parker (Dao Zhen), who is a member of this forum, so if you have any questions

about this book, Dao Zhen should be able to provide more info. :)

Edited by neidan practitioner

Hi,

I haven't read the Tao Te Ching, but it seems like something I'll get round to. What is the "best" translation though? Which one transmits the Tao must truthfully?

Cheers,

Janus

I vote for decide for yourself

http://www.wayist.org/ttc%20compared/indexchp.htm

Lots of different translations arranged line by line so you can compare them against each other.

Edited by i_am_sam