Sign in to follow this  
iinatti

My Haiku

I got the impression that some people though my Haiku was offtempo yesterday, so I wanted to briefly explain it. I had originally written a haiku saying to be careful not to slip on ice because if you do you will get hurt. Then, there was a response saying pain is merely the mind’s construction.

So I got to thinking about that.  While true, pain is only a construction of the "mind," so to speak, it does not mean we go out and solicit pain.  We don’t walk uncarefully on ice, simply because the pain is made in the "mind".  The absurd example, of course, was the trimming off of Bob’s arm.  Sure the pain only occurred in his “mind”, but he lost his arm in the process.   The point was that the pain is real in as much as Bob’s arm is real.  Perhaps the sensation of pain itself is illusory, but what it tells us is not. Pain is sometimes unavoidable but one ought to try to cultivate harmony in life to avoid it (and not be like Bob).   

Apologies for the weirdness.  Do very much find this forum fascinating. It seems, however, that these conversations are occupying more and more of my very shallow and continually evaporating mental faculties. Probably ought to drop off the radar for a while. This as I sit at my lunch break.  Do appreciate this place.  :  )

• Thanks 1

@iinatti thanks for elucidating, appreciated. Sorry, I had totally misunderstood your Haiku. I agree entirely with what you say in the OP (except of course for the "very shallow and continually evaporating mental faculties":lol:). Have a nice day. :)

Edited by Cobie

Sign in to follow this