Sign in to follow this  
Lois

Cuneiform clay tablet translated for the first time

A cuneiform clay tablet that has puzzled scholars for over 150 years has been translated for the first time. The tablet is now known to be a contemporary Sumerian observation of an asteroid impact at Köfels, Austria and is published in a new book, 'A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels' Impact Event.'

https://phys.org/news/2008-03-cuneiform-clay-tablet.html

Interesting !  I just got to a breakthrough point ( with some others ) to some real possibilities of the origin of the Sumerians ... and how their 'start of civilisation' probably happened . Previously somewhat of a mystery .

So I guess I will 'check the sources of this' .

And Lois .... it better not be Zachariah Sitchen   anywhere in that link ...

young-angry-manager-threatening-fist-isolated-white-background-view-top-91624830.jpg

Good boy ! 

1*sz3x5iKbBV_iJ2-47CmfIA.jpeg

very interesting .

I'll run it by my fellow ancient  history freaks and get back to you .

On second thought I won't. The dates dont appear to match up .

I take back that gold star ... and issue this instead

you_tried_gold_star_sticker-rb3d05b51bcb64c76a563f1169e546eb3_0ugdr_8byvr_630.jpg?view_padding=[285,0,285,0]

• Haha 1

https://phys.org/news/2008-03-cuneiform-clay-tablet.html

With modern computer programmes that can simulate trajectories and reconstruct the night sky thousands of years ago the researchers have established what the Planisphere tablet refers to. It is a copy of the night notebook of a Sumerian astronomer as he records the events in the sky before dawn on the 29 June 3123 BC (Julian calendar). Half the tablet records planet positions and cloud cover, the same as any other night, but the other half of the tablet records an object large enough for its shape to be noted even though it is still in space. The astronomers made an accurate note of its trajectory relative to the stars, which to an error better than one degree is consistent with an impact at Köfels. "

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/history-of-geology/the-strange-medical-case-of-the-radioactive-landslide/

" ... The landslide of Köfels (named after a small village in Tyrol) is one of the largest recognized landslides in the Alps - large enough to dam up a 92 meters (300 feet) deep prehistoric lake and divide in two the valley of Ötz. Wood fragments discovered during the construction of a gallery in the landslide deposits where dated to an age of 8 . 710 +- years BP  ( 9,800 before present ) .

( it explains why some think it is an impact site, but it shows it is probably a landslide, and says others similar exist in such terrain .... and a  BIG landslide can produce radiation !  :huh:  )

Sign in to follow this