Pu-erh

Qigong for acid reflux?

Hello,

I was a long-time lurker on this forum in years past, but I am back with a question. I have been suffering from acid reflux for about 1.5 years now. It originally arose in the context of a high-stress job, which I have now left. I am doing the best I can to experiment with diet, supplements and so on and have seen both a medical doctor and an acupuncturist, but so far, I have not found much relief.

I'm specifically writing to ask about what qigong forms (and/or taiji forms) might be most beneficial for acid reflux. If anyone has had personal experience treating this condition, I'd especially welcome that feedback.

Thank you,

Chris

You need to do a lot of GROUNDING WORK. I mean a lot. 

Asian Squat every day and several times a day. Use kettlebells to aid your progress until you can do them without the use of any extra resistance.

*Liver Qi is overactive and controlling the digestive system and has weakened as a result. Stomach Qi is rebellious and should be flowing downwards during the process of digestion but in this case is flowing upwards (acid reflux).

Also unresolved emotions can be the cause of rebellious stomach qi since the liver is overactive.

Finally eat mindfully, happy and relaxed; never in a rush and while doing other things and let alone in a state of emotional upset.

*Wood controls Earth (Five Elements Theory). 

Thank you for your reply, @Gerard!

I am not that well-versed in 5 Element theory, but what you say about grounding makes sense.

I feel that one of the things that may have contributed, or still be contributing to my problem is a habit of watching YouTube videos while eating. I started doing this at my old job, where I was often taking lunch while busy and stressed out. I know I should cut the distractions and eat mindfully, but it's a hard habit to break. It's like I crave the distraction, now. I will work on it.

Chris

You are welcome.

The general rule of thumb when eating is this one:

Refrain from any activity when eating specially MENTAL ACTIVITY.

The forces you'll generate inside will mess up the digestive system and Liver becomes overactive as well as the Stomach since this organ has also role of "processing external information" which is less known and less talked about.

It will take you years to break the habit so go easy. 

Edit:

Grounding exercises:

1. Asian Squat

https://fitnessvolt.com/asian-squat/

https://musclelead.com/asian-squat/

Plenty of YT videos.

Start with the pole exercise if unable to squat at all:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4xzCJrQ98

2. Shaolin Five Stances 

https://shaolinsticksandstones.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/the-five-basic-wushu-stances-in-no-particular-order/

This will bring all lingering high Qi (head & shoulders, back, chest, abdomen, glutes and groin) down to the feet and into the Earth creating a solid root. You'll become more balanced, calm, worry-less, fearless, obsessed-less, positive & energetic due to improved digestion and increased Qi levels since the Spleen generates Qi from all food you eat and deliver it to the rest of the body.

TO BE PRACTICED ON A DAILY BASIS, especially when Stomach and Spleen Qi are most active (8am to 12 noon). 

If Liver Yang rising is present (most common symptom is "ringing in the ears", also restlessness and high levels of stress and anger) then do grounding work when Gallbladder and Liver are most active (1am to 6am).

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

That all makes sense, @Gerard. I will try easing into undistracted meals and give myself some grace around it.

My tendency is to want to find an herb or supplement that will 'fix' this issue for me, but I realize that mindset is part of the problem. I have to change my lifestyle, including my relationship with food and eating, but that's the hardest thing. BTW do you have a reading recommendation related to the knowledge you're sharing? Like something that might help with understanding the underlying 5 energetic/elemental theory, how mental activity affects the organs and so on?

BTW, although I'm not as flexible as I was 10 years ago, I can still Asian squat pretty easily! :) Will check out the 5 stances training.

It's not just the food but also lifestyle, especially how much mental activity you spend every day. Excessive thinking is related to Wood (Liver & GB) which in turn controls the Earth element (Spleen & Stomach, digestive system). The more one thinks the more it weakens the Spleen (and Stomach). 

It's all result from Ba Gua Zhang practice, which when practiced deeply develops a strong relationship with the internal organs. One becomes very aware of the internal processes, the specific forces they generate (Yin & Yang and the 5 Forces, which are the main manifestations of the Y&Y).

Also cut down on how much information you process every day (internet, visual pollution if you happen to live in a city, TV, smartphones, etc) because that is the main cause of the Stomach becoming overactive ---> acid reflux.

Stomach Qi should go down not the other way round.

Edited by Gerard

I'm a fellow sufferer.  Sleeping with a wedge pillow, ie head higher, helped.  Raising the head of the bed might work too.  Club soda w/ lime, due to its bicarbonate helped.  Nothing really kept it at bay for very long.  When it flares up I'll chop a oemprazole (Prilosec) in half and take half pills for a few days (or longer). 

sugar and alcohol are triggers. 

Edited by thelerner