Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

Ryukyu ( Owinawan ) Kiko

A 'type of '  Qi Gong .

In 'Old Style Karate' ,  a form pre last century that  survived in some traditions and teachers that where not effected by the huge changes in karate * that came about in early 1900's . 

Spoiler

Basically it was a deadly fighting art mix of indigenous and Chinese forms  operating within a feudal system . The system was changed and many martial artists   suddenly had no income  as retainers, body guards,  Samurai class , etc .  One came up with the idea of modifying what he knew (  and he might not have known that much after all ) so as to be able teach it to primary school students as a form of Physical Education  .  You cant have school kids doing the real stuff .  That form got translated to Japanese karate and from there spread out as 'THE' karate .   Then there where other changes on top that relate to culture, WWII,  creating a 'sports form ' , etc .

Some basic stages  of training :

Tanden.

Special breathing to concentrate ki in the 'hara' / " Sea of Ki " . 

Shoshyyuten.

Learning to circulate the energy, first through two main channels ;  Governor ( and 6  positive related 'vessels' ) and then Conception ( and the six negative related )  vessels . 'Small Circle of the Sky'

Daishyuten.

'Large circle of the sky' . Ki circulates through whole body and limbs , usually done in one particular stance , 20 mins at a time or more .

'Grounding ' .

'Immovable' body , push and lift tests . Ki is led through soles of feet to earth and through correct body alignment  any kinetic force flows that way .

'Projecting ' .

Similar but now energy is directed out of arms , through fingers , joints , as needed according to posture and movement . Eg exercises are 'unbendable arm'   or 'push' ( or 'surge' )  and many similar techniques like we might see in Tai Chi

This flows into 'energy projection' . It is  NOT contactless but greatly increases the power of  seemingly light contact , eg. 'one inch punch' .

There is more, it goes onto 'Ekkin'  to do with 'tendon changing' and 'Senui'  ' bone marrow cleansing'   ( I have been trying to avoid non English terms where I can .)

When its all put together  and combined with things like  ( for example in Matsamura , founder of my style and personal  body guard to King Sho , his renown ) blindingly fast speed and ferocious countenance . One might get an idea of how these old Masters   trained  and fought -  very different from what passes off general as 'karate' today .

Spoiler

Ps.   I have posted before about some the old techniques and how they worked  and how modern ones are a poor and misunderstood version of them . But some guy who tried to make out he was a karate expert invaded the thread and .... well, you guys know how it goes .

This is a different approach to the subject .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice! I learned shotokan and we didn't even go near this stuff. An uechi-ryu friend I spoke to a few years ago was surprised I didn't even know sanchin, which is I guess a form of hard qigong.

Generally speaking, I love seeing Japanese martial qigong. There's a lot of it within the system of rinzai zen I'm currently working with. Breathing exercises and sounds to build the hara.

There's a chap near me who teaches battodo (a form of swordsmanship) who I'm planning to learn from this year. Alongside the sword training he teaches something called 'tanren' (forging) which is kind of like martial qigong mixed with yogic stuff that looks like nauli kriya. His book is well worth a read.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Nice! I learned shotokan and we didn't even go near this stuff. An uechi-ryu friend I spoke to a few years ago was surprised I didn't even know sanchin, which is I guess a form of hard qigong.

Thats how I started - Shotokan , they just about had the world market back then . .  I guess you know the history ( the  first  hidden contents box in OP ) .  One of the biggest 'cultural appropriations' in history  - I was involved in a conversation recently where some where saying the Japs didnt actually claim that form of school boy karate from Okinawa at all  ..... Ummmm , dude, the Japanese 'appropriated '  the whole country of Okinawa and started telling everyone it was part of Japan .   Ho-hum .

Generally speaking, I love seeing Japanese martial qigong. There's a lot of it within the system of rinzai zen I'm currently working with. Breathing exercises and sounds to build the hara.

Good  then next you can work with (if you haven't already ) focus and energy input and output in hara  while doing movement  , testing with 'distractions' * and finally through all techniques .

* stand there  concentrating on hara , instructor rushes at you screaming  and striking with boken  and stops a hair  width from  your face ; " Did you loose concentration ? "

There's a chap near me who teaches battodo (a form of swordsmanship) who I'm planning to learn from this year. Alongside the sword training he teaches something called 'tanren' (forging) which is kind of like martial qigong mixed with yogic stuff that looks like nauli kriya. His book is well worth a read.

I LOVED one of the forms of battodo  ( I put a vid up here of it somewhere ) . First time I saw it I was ' Hey ! Thats some of  the stuff I do ..... I am not crazy after all .'  Some times I think they might think that at training  with my 'impolite (sneaky) attacks'  - what if someone does this , does that ; tries to stop your draw , you do  not draw to 'en guard' or  while attacked  , etc .   Attack from  the back, as they walk past each other , in pursuit , what ever one can think of , and apply the correct principles .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this