de_paradise

how does transmission work?

Please note that I am not dismissing such an idea. But often here there is an immediate acceptance of such phenomena. If we start with how does it work instead of is it real we wouldn't end up with all these moving someone without touching nonsense videos.

The way it works is felt through how you do your practice, or better, has nothing to do with the form of what you are practicing. You can be taught the form of a moving practice, yet without the transmission, it's only gymnastics. I can show people the monkey form of the 5 animals, yet without the transmission, given by the teacher, it's like being given a cell phone without a SIM card.

Good teachers of qigong, or any tradition, have been given the transmission to teach, wich is totally different than just knowing the practice and passing it on.

h

That's right. It would be like a gave you a bunch of Reiki symbols, hand positions, and a whole procedure, but no Reiki initiation.....try doing Reiki like that with no initiation...it is not the same...you'll get drained fast.

I've experienced what I believe to be the transmission from two separate teachers via three different methods.

The first was from a yiquan sifu who would have me do sitting meditation at the end of the lesson. He was rather secretive of some things, keeping his students' identities from one another. While I did the sitting meditation he would move to different parts of the room and stand there for a moment or two. I could swear that he was projecting qi into me but never mentioned it. Later when I did happen to meet some of his other students we compared notes and the all felt the same thing, like he was doing something to them while they meditated. It wasn't long after experiencing whatever it was that he was doing while I meditated that I began to experience vibrations and movement from my dan tien similar to those that manifest in the sitting Kunlun meditation.

The second transmission was from the same teacher only it was through his palm which was placed near the location of my stomach / spleen. When I looked at his hand it was shaking the way some folks hands will shake uncontrollably when they do taijiquan or zhan zhuang.

I recounted the experiences from my first yiquan teacher to my current one and he confirmed that this was a traditional method of transmitting qi from teacher to student. He does the transmission one on one and in a group. He has us stand in wuji zhuang in a circle and gives some of his qi to us. From him it is more a heat sensation compared to the former teacher's qi which was more like holding two magnets with like poles facing and feeling the faint pushing.

I believe that a hands on transmission is another way. For all I know there might be more.

My current teacher had very good karma with Dr. Yu Peng Xi, a noted yiquan expert who opened up his meridians in a private session. After this my teacher was able to see peoples' auras wherever he went.

I imagine that someone who hasn't experienced similar things would find it hard to fathom without scientific proof. Sometimes seeing is believing and at other times feeling is believing.

John