vagiraja01

Usnisa Vijaya Dharani and Nianfo

Hello everyone, 

Thank you to be able to join after a long time of doubt...

I'm looking for advice from fellow brothers...

I have been doing my practise (if it can be describe as it is), that is the chanting of Usnisa Vijaya Dharani. After reading the sutra long time ago, i have started to memorize to long Dharani, and allready chanting it daily (mostly) for more than 10 years. I have felt it;s power, not only for myself but also on my family members.

I came not from a budddhist background, nor that my family members know that i have doing this practise. I do have taken a refugee from a vajrayana-tang lineage at a local buddhist chapter at myhome town. The very reason why i did that because after having a very lucid dreams for 3 times, and having asking here and there, someone advice me to take a formal refugee that is to confirm my  dharma lineage so too speak.

I still doing my things after doing the refugee, that is just doing my chanting daily. Lately i have across with pureland shandao lineage material, and frankly doing nianfo seems logical without have to afraid that someday you will fall to a vajrahell because you are doing a practise from some youtube channel master. The Master of Nianfo is non other than Amitabha Himself at that is all the permission you will ever need.

So, i started nianfo (as in shandao lineage said) without mixing it with other practise (that is to stop my long daily practise of Usnisa Vijaya Dharani).

Thats when the problems occur. For the last 2 months i have started having sickness, Covid 19 and a week after cure from covid, i have another sickness (a problem with my left face). Frankly i'm scared. I have sickness before but not like this. From what i have read it seems my bad karma matures early (something that i suspect because of the power of nianfo), So i stop nianfo and back doing my Usnisa Vijaya Dharani. 

Nianfo is one of the best practise i guest, but it just...well maybe to powerfull for me. Hoping that fellow brothers will share their experience either with Usnisa Vijaya Dharani or Nianfo and will appreciate any advice regarding with this.

With folding my hands. Thank you

• Like 2

Hello vagiraja01,

Your account is approved; welcome to the bums.

I hope you find the answers and relief you seek. Not knowing what the symptoms are that are affecting your (left) face it may be hard for anyone to reply; have you ruled out medical issues? 

warm regards,

ilu

I see no issue with doing both. It doesn't have to be one or the other, unless this is due to time constraints, but you can just sit and recite the Usnisa Vijaya Dharani, or however you normally chant it, and throughout the day Nian Fo when you are not doing mentally demanding tasks (I would imagine you don't recite the Usnisa Dharani whilst going about your daily tasks as it is rather long).

It could be a mere coincidence or that something has actually happened as a result of you stopping the Dharani practice... Just get through this period,  we all go through ups and downs. Obviously get checked up on what the problem may be with your face, and also consider incorporating both practices as part of your cultivation. 

Honestly, if anything, I don't think it has anything to do with you starting Nian Fo, more likely to do with stopping the Dharani. But it could all just be a coincidence too

Curious to hear where you got the idea that it's not possible to 'mix' the practices

• Like 1

5 hours ago, refugeindharma said:

Curious to hear where you got the idea that it's not possible to 'mix' the practices

Agreed.  

Your ideas about the practice influence the result, that's one place I might look for the cause of your troubles.