whitemic

The Three Treasures and Seven Principles

One of the hardest questions I am asked if Tao comes up is, "how do you DO Taoism?" Most of us would say that it isn't something you do so much as something that you are - but what ARE YOU as a 'taoist'?

The shortest answer I can provide is that I attempt to cultivate the Three Treasures; Jing into Qi and back, Qi into Shen and back, and circulate Qi between Jing and Shen. This doesn't tend to answer a whole lot of questions from the average person. Instead, I try to put it into terms that are immediately practical, the Seven Principles.

The Seven Principles

1. Intent - do not set goals and become attached to outcome. Instead, focus your mind and it will guide your reality.

2. Alignment - for qi to flow, you must be aligned at the three major dantiens; your forehead, your solar plexus, and below your belly button.

3. Breathing - circulation is crucial; extend your exhale one second and feel the core sink to its root, hold your inhale one second and feel the core fill with qi

4. Relaxation - relaxing is not just "laying down". Get comfortable, then clench and release the fists. Feel the tension leave as you do, then apply this to the entirety of the body.

5. Centering - the best way to "feel the center" in my opinion, is to sit facing a wall a push it with two hands. The resistance you feel is your center of gravity and you should always move the body from the center outward.

6. Circulation - don't just take qi, give it back. Extend the arms, forcefully or peacefully, and exhale. Stare intensely or kick the legs, find a way to get qi out of your body to make room for new and fresh qi.

7. Clarity and Stillness - Heaven is clarity and movement, earth is turbulence and stillness. If you can be clear and still, heaven and earth completely return. The six preceding principles will direct you towards achieving clarity and stillness, but only you will know whether you have achieved it or not.

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?

10 hours ago, whitemic said:

concerns

10 hours ago, whitemic said:

1. Intent - do not set goals and become attached to outcome. Instead, focus your mind and it will guide your reality.

This is the one of most concern to be honest. I think it's based on a fundamental misunderstanding.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 5:03 AM, freeform said:

This is the one of most concern to be honest. I think it's based on a fundamental misunderstanding.

Care to elaborate?

6 hours ago, whitemic said:

Care to elaborate?

Sure, I can try.

But I first need to understand what you mean exactly.

Im guessing this comes from the  ‘Wu Wei’ concept? Or is there another source to this?

What do you mean by focus your mind?

What do you mean by guide your reality?

’do not get attached to outcome’ is important of course… in fact don’t get attached to anything… 

But what about ‘don’t set goals?’ How does that work? Is it only that you don’t set big goals? (like ‘pass my driving test’)… or does it apply to small goals too? (like ‘drink some water’ or ‘extend my out-breath for one second’)

Edited by freeform

On 19/07/2021 at 9:46 PM, whitemic said:

what ARE YOU as a 'taoist'?

Right now, it is about acquiring all kinds of knowledge(with the intent to better myself).