dwai

Sinking and the Relaxed Force - Wee Kee Jin

59 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

I should have said, "Thoughts about doing it without imagination?" For me, the internal arts seem to work better without. 

Assuming we mean the same thing when we say “imagine”... how would you hold a taiji ball without imagining it, when you don’t feel it yet? The intention will induce the Ball to form, and that in turn creates a self-reinforcing loop with the energy.  Just holding the hands in that shape (of holding a ball) will induce it — there’s no special imagination required (IME). 

But along with forming the shape with our palms, we then have to pay attention to the sensations that arise in between them. Initially the mind might say, “I’m just imagining it”. Then it is imperative to not dismiss it as made up/imagined, but continue to pay attention in a non-judgmental way. Over time, the repetitive observation will make it apparent that it is not made up...there is something there and then it grows stronger and stronger. 

For example, when learning to reverse parallel parking, it helped me to imagine I was (ie me and the car as an extension of my body) a snake or lizard, wiggling it’s way into the spot...these are just tools to help with our proprioception. 

It certainly helps to work on it in a smaller scale (hold a softball first) until we start feeling the magnetic pull and push. And then it will expand to size of a soccer ball, basket ball, beach ball, etc etc. :) 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dwai said:

Assuming we mean the same thing when we say “imagine”... how would you hold a taiji ball without imagining it, when you don’t feel it yet?

Well, like you describe here--- holding the posture, and settling the mind onto whatever space, and feeling what's there. 

I should add I'm not necessarily against imagination per se, but I feel that when I imagine something, relying on my own memories and mind, I usually miss what's actually happening. I'm always a bit surprised. 

Edited by forestofemptiness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, forestofemptiness said:

Well, like you describe here--- holding the posture, and settling the mind onto whatever space, and feeling what's there. 

I'd call that imagining as well -- "Imagine you're holding a ball", which allows us to establish the right way to shape our palms :) 

1 hour ago, forestofemptiness said:

I should add I'm not necessarily against imagination per se, but I feel that when I imagine something, relying on my own memories and mind, I usually miss what's actually happening. I'm always a bit surprised. 

The imagination should be only for the purpose of maintaining the shape/size initially. It takes on its own life afterward.