Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Five Phases of Food

I'm curious as to whether any of you actually try to eat according to your imbalance, or what do you do to complement your qi gong when you're having issues with a particular organ, to help bring it back into balance quicker or at least not swing to such high extremes...

I have a chart on my fridge about the five phases of food, which basically breaks down the grains, beans, vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts, dairy, seafood and poultry into the five elements or flavors or organs... It's kind of a neat tool, whether I'm trying to make sure I get all five flavors in each meal, or specifically focusing on elements that are imbalanced... But the chart seems off to me because it says heart and small intestine are bitter, and I just don't get that, you'd think liver would be bitter...but I'm sure there's an explanation...

Anyways, I wonder how much of this is really about the actual physical food... I've been wanting to experiment with drop doses of herbs based on the flavors..but I'm getting really into vitalism and physiomedicalism... It is interesting though because for me if I'm following the perfect Ayurvedic diet for my dosha, I go insane, so I wonder if my body is just attuned to TCM food and not Ayurveda...and I've met people who have experienced the opposite.

I have yet to experiment with "traditional" or spiritually oriented approaches to eating, but I've had good results with Kathleen DeMaisons Radiant Recovery program. I did it religiously for about two years but "fell off the wagon" so to speak. I'm taking a second swing at it, but I will probably approach it less dogmatically this time, and also introduce principles from Dr. Schwarzbein, Dr. Mercola, and Raw Paleo.

Sean.

Sign in to follow this