Sign in to follow this  
Mig

The Parent's Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents

Has someone read or heard about this book? Is it worth reading? Can any chapters of the DDJ apply to parenting?

Thanks

• Like 1

Heya. I haven't read the book but have a look at chapters 49, 51, 54 and 64 of the DDJ. Those words are pragmatic and can be applied to parenting as much as governing people.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 2:30 PM, Mig said:

Has someone read or heard about this book? Is it worth reading? Can any chapters of the DDJ apply to parenting?

Thanks

Its my opinion the DDJ can be interpreted for many of life's situations in a successful way. Kind of like, nature follows certain rhythms, and the DDJ teaches you how to read and play music.

12 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

Its my opinion the DDJ can be interpreted for many of life's situations in a successful way. Kind of like, nature follows certain rhythms, and the DDJ teaches you how to read and play music.

I am always confused about the way the DDJ can be interpreted. If I don't know the original text, the historical context when it was written, the way it has been interpreted throughout ages and how it has been applied in different lineages, etc., I doubt I can have it right especially if it is from an English translation as it is used in this forum. I am not sure DDJ teaches you anything but gives you the guidelines or the roadmap for us to follow and cultivate what works in our world. Don't you think so?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mig said:

I am always confused about the way the DDJ can be interpreted. If I don't know the original text, the historical context when it was written, the way it has been interpreted throughout ages and how it has been applied in different lineages, etc., I doubt I can have it right especially if it is from an English translation as it is used in this forum. I am not sure DDJ teaches you anything but gives you the guidelines or the roadmap for us to follow and cultivate what works in our world. Don't you think so?

Hi Mig,

Regardless of the legitimacy of a translation, where it came from or the time it was created ... don’t you know good advice when you hear it?

Since we are not seperate from nature... since we are indeed a very big part of “all this”... we have that truth inside of us, that resonates with its likeness. That’s all the DDJ is pointing you to IMO... it’s a roadmap to discovering your own place in all of this. Your own true nature. 

In my experience, I find the DDJ to be a very heart centered book. It’s about feeling and intuition. The inner arguments regarding “if it’s right or not” will not benefit much. All you have is the text that’s before you, and the opportunity to benefit from applying it to your life. 

My interpretation of the DDJ changes slightly each time I read it. And I would hope it would!!! Things are always changing... 

Theres “having it right” ..... and there’s “having it right for you”. One doesn’t change.. and the other one is always changing. Neither way is more right than the other. 

Cheers 😊

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2018 at 5:42 PM, Mig said:

Daoism evolves with the times. Whatever translation you're using, the words will apply to current situations.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rara said:

Daoism evolves with the times. Whatever translation you're using, the words will apply to current situations.

That is the danger of interpretation.  As for example, DDJ chapter 71 line 2  不知知,病。

To think one knows when one does not know is a dire disease. Waley

Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lau

In Ancient Chinese bing 病 means  illness, disease, sickness. Defect, flaw, fault, problem. This is the meaning in this chapter. Thus, to not know but think you know is a character flaw, not a disease. That's the problem I encounter reading the DDJ English translations. I guess basic concepts remain the same and some particularities may change but no translation is good if there is no explanation or commentary to have a good understanding of the meaning.

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2018 at 1:54 AM, Mig said:

That is the danger of interpretation.  As for example, DDJ chapter 71 line 2  不知知,病。

To think one knows when one does not know is a dire disease. Waley

Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lau

In Ancient Chinese bing 病 means  illness, disease, sickness. Defect, flaw, fault, problem. This is the meaning in this chapter. Thus, to not know but think you know is a character flaw, not a disease. That's the problem I encounter reading the DDJ English translations. I guess basic concepts remain the same and some particularities may change but no translation is good if there is no explanation or commentary to have a good understanding of the meaning.

Sure.

But when I speak to Chinese native-speaking friends, an example of what one said to me:

"My English is very poor and I think that is really pathetic"

There are a number of ways in which he could have said this. In English, this is extremely derogatory yet, quite frankly, as you see from the statement, his English is actually quite good. By his tone, he certainly didn't mean to sound so depressed about it, he just meant that he isn't fluent and wishes he could be better.

Either way, we get the idea as to what he was basically saying, so I'm more than happy to say that I in turn have the basic idea of what the TTC is getting at :)

On 5/29/2018 at 2:30 PM, Mig said:

Thanks

i read it and liked it very much

13 hours ago, steve said:

i read it and liked it very much

What did you like about it? How is that related to the DDJ? Could you give some examples? I noticed in today's parenting especially in the USA, kids are empowered to do whatever they want to do and most of the time parents are enablers. And phone, phone apps, internet has not helped. It started with kids and now adults, everyone is looking for that instant gratification.

It's been a long time since I read it.

As I recall, he published 3 books - one about parenting, one about aging, one about relationships.

I read and enjoyed all three but the one on parenting was my favorite.

I do recall the advice and philosophy of parenting as seeming to come from an open, practical, and sensible place.

I fear that technology is taking is farther and farther from contact with mother Earth, with each other, with other living creatures.

It's a brave, new world but I do think the wisdom traditions can provide us with support.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:09 AM, steve said:

It's been a long time since I read it.

As I recall, he published 3 books - one about parenting, one about aging, one about relationships.

I read and enjoyed all three but the one on parenting was my favorite.

I do recall the advice and philosophy of parenting as seeming to come from an open, practical, and sensible place.

I fear that technology is taking is farther and farther from contact with mother Earth, with each other, with other living creatures.

It's a brave, new world but I do think the wisdom traditions can provide us with support.

At this point I know that most of the DDJ can be interpreted for the universe, the king, the power and it can be applied to yourself. So it makes me think that each line when it talks about country, government, the king and humans in general it can be applied as  you be one of those and your kids the subjects for a better guideline living in harmony and peace. Just saying.

Sign in to follow this