wandelaar

Chuang tse and Technology

I am currently reading a Chuang tse translation and am unclear about how Chuang tse actually evaluated technology. Sometimes he appears to value arts and crafts as great examples of how to follow Tao and at other times he speaks out against the use of even the most simple inventions as contrary to the Tao. How do the Bums see this?

Edited by wandelaar

I doubt we will find a clear answer to your question.

Man follows Earth, (Earth follows the Heavens, the Heavens follow Tao)

We know the Heavens (physical universe) do things, the Earth does things, Man does things.

Chuang Tzu is about living a long life without conflicts.  If technology reduces conflicts, why not?

14 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Chuang Tzu is about living a long life without conflicts.  If technology reduces conflicts, why not?

The argument made is that technology only seems to reduce conflicts, but that looked at from a larger perspective the natures of things are being hurt by the clever inventions of man. And so all kinds of natural en social disasters will appear as a result.

• Like 1

I told you finding answers will be difficult.  Hehehe.

But yes, interfering with the natural way of nature and one's self more often result in increasing conflicts rather than reducing them.  Or at least if old conflicts were reduced we create new conflicts in the process.

• Like 1

Maybe the answer is that even Chuang tse doesn't know how to decide the issue, and that he just points out two or more different (but conflicting) ways one could reasonably look at it. And leaves it at that...?

• Like 1

Just now, wandelaar said:

Maybe the answer is that even Chuang tse doesn't know how to decide the issue, and that he just points out two or more different (but conflicting) ways one could reasonably look at it. And leaves it at that...?

Yeah, this may be another of those where the questions are asked but no answer is offered.  We have to make our own decisions.  Cost/benefit analysis.

• Like 1