Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy Panda

Tips on Qi/Jing cultivation through Qigong for a beginner

Hi,

I have been a big fan of Taoism and it's approach to life: the path of the least resistance. 

I have been trying to learn Qigong on-and-off. I joined an Qigong class which started with basics like Zhan Zhuang and then went onto a few more other exercises like some style of Bagua and Microcosmic orbit but I quit the class before I could finish it.

I have been trying to get back into my Qigong practice again and based on my research, I have found that Way of the Energy by Lam Kam Chuen and Opening the Energy Gates of your Body by Bruce Frantzis are amongst the best beginner books. I have practiced Zhan Zhang/Wu Ji on and off and I have not much difficulty standing for 20min. However, I want to make it a part of my daily practice and atleast do that for 6 months before checking back in. 

I was wondering what practices/duration should I incorporate into my daily routine for great foundation work and cultivating Qi. Some practitioners here suggest NeiGong/Meditation along with Qigong. There are also a lot of articles about semen retention but there are always mixed opinions so I it is hard for me decide on what to do. A lot of practitioners also consider learning microcosmic orbit as essential but it has been called as a technique to be learnt only under a teacher.  I want the experienced posters here to help sort me out through all these confusions and advise me a routine that I should stick for next 6 months.

TLDR; Best books and practices for beginning qigong cultivation. Any thing that I should do that would complement it? Any tips or tricks along the way that you have learnt from your own practice and you would recommend to a beginner.

• Like 2

Hello, Sleepy Panda, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hi Sleepy Panda,

( Great name, by the way... :) )

Welcome to the forum... Seems like you have a good foundation and are on the right track.  I'm sure there will be a large amount of information you will find informative and beneficial for your training.

I have read the BK Frantzis book you mentioned- I've always enjoyed his material.  The only tip/trick I have found is to listen to my own body and my own intuition - I've found we ourselves can be the best teachers sometimes. :)

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

Enjoy your time here,

Fa Xin

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

I'm in a similar situation to yourself and I started where you are a couple of years ago. Here is my practice blog that charts my development from ZZ and then on to other things, it might help.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 12:03 AM, Miffymog said:

I'm in a similar situation to yourself and I started where you are a couple of years ago. Here is my practice blog that charts my development from ZZ and then on to other things, it might help.

Great job on keeping a journal. I bet it helps you keep the accountability. Maybe I will start one too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Sleepy Panda said:

How can I create a journal in the Personal Practice section? It seems greyed out for me.

Just post in this thread:

to request one. I’m sure the moderators would be happy to make one for you. 

FX

6 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

Just post in this thread:

to request one. I’m sure the moderators would be happy to make one for you. 

FX

Thanks. I will submit a request right away

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this