Chapter 54: 善建者不拔。善抱者不脱。子孙以祭祀不辍。修之於身其德乃真。修之於家其德乃馀。修之於乡其德乃长。修之於邦其德乃丰。修之於天下其德乃普。故以身观身,以家观家,以乡观乡,以邦观邦,以天下观天下。吾何以知天下然哉?以此。

Chapter sub-title: Five levels of self-cultivation

[MP35a]Those who are skillful in the construction of buildings will not pull them down. [MP35b]Those who had decided on a well-thought idea or ambitious decision will not easily put it off or abandoned it. [MP35c]Those children who on their first day in school had gone through a ceremony to pay respects to their teacher would not drop out of school.

There are five levels of self-cultivation.

1.      [MP36a]He who wishes to learn about moral and leadership skills for the sake of himself, his accomplishment suffices to assist him to build up exemplary righteous behaviors.

2.      [MP36b]He who wishes to learn moral and leadership skills for the sake of raising a harmonious family, his accomplishment shall benefit his children and grand-children.

3.      [MP36c]He who wishes to learn moral and leadership skills in order to return home in glory, his accomplishment helps him rise up the rank to a communal chief or nation leader.  

4.      [MP36d]He who wishes to learn moral and leadership skills for the sake of his country, his accomplishment facilitates him to lead the nation in the direction of peace and prosperity.

5.      [MP36e]He who wishes to learn moral and leadership skills for the sake of the world, his accomplishment enables him to bring peace to the world and hence, gains international acclaims and ovations by all the world communities.

[MP37]Let’s go on to review the progress of one’s learning?

1.      [MP37a]Delve in self-cultivation, then go on to observe one’s result in social interactions and people-relationship building.

2.      [MP37b]Raise a harmonious family, then go on to observe one’s result in the administration of his public office.

3.      [MP37c]Build up strong social fabric in his community, then go on to observe one’s result in enticing new residents and how smoothly they integrate into his communal activities.

4.      [MP37d]Entrench the concept that citizens are the mainstays of a nation, then go on to observe one’s result in advancing the country, both in social and economic developments..

5.      [MP37e]Focus on an administration that aims to touch everyone’s heart and win them over, then go on to observe one’s result in the coordination of all races, in terms of coexistence, full integration and an united, peaceful world.

[MP37f]How do I understand the fine details of the world’s state of affairs?

[MP37g]The answer lies in the above five never-ending review processes and the definition for true leadership: leading people to get things done for the people!

Remark: It is impossible for me to list down the word for word translation for this long chapter, 91 characters in all. I am truly sorry. Only those who can read Chinese would be able to appreciate how the translation was done, and peek into Lao Zi’s ideal for this world.  

学说:修养的五个意向

[MP35a]擅长建造建筑物的人,不会摆脱责任。[MP35b]好谋善断[1]的人所决定下来的志向,不会轻言放弃。[MP35c]子孙们按照入学时给老师先行拜师的礼仪,就不会半途而辍学了。

有五种不同层次的学习态度。

其一,              [MP3a]为了自身的修养而去修学习的人,他所修得的道德品行[2]才是真诚的。

其二,              [MP36b]为了宜家宜室[3]而去修学的人,他所修得的道德品行就能恩泽及于於子孙

其三,              [MP36c]为了衣锦还乡[4]而去修学的人,他所修得的道德品行才足于使他成为领袖[5]

其四,              [MP36d]为了国家而去学修习的人,他所修得的道德品行才足于使国家丰亨豫[6]

其五,              [MP36e]为了天下所有的人民百姓而去修学习的人,他所修得的道德品行才能使全世界的人普天同庆[7]

[MP37]再看一看怎样去评估这五个层次的修养。

1.      [MP37a]修身齐家[8],去观看立身处世[9]的成果;

2.      [MP37b]宜家之乐[10],去观看齐家治国[11]的成果;

3.      [MP37c] 乡规民约[12],去观看随乡入乡[13]的成果;

4.      [MP37d] 民为邦本[14],去观看立国安邦[15]的成果;

5.      [MP37e] 怀柔天下[16],去观看燮和天下[17]的成果。

[MP37f]我为什么会知道天下[18]是这样的状态呢?

[MP37g] 以此类推[19],就是以上十个评介点。

[1] 善:擅长;断:决断。形容人能不断思考,并善于判断

[2] 请参照第38章,注释1

[3] 形容家庭和顺,夫妻和睦

[4] 衣:衣服。锦:有多彩图案的丝织品。还乡:回家、探亲。古时指做官以后,穿了锦绣的衣服,回到故乡向亲友夸耀。也说衣锦荣归。

[5] 国家、政党、群众团体等的最高领导人。

[6] 形容富足兴盛的太平安乐景象

[7] 天下的人们共同庆贺。

[8] 指修养自身,理好家政。

[9] 立身:做人;处世:在社会上活动,与人交往。指人在社会上待人接物的种种活动

[10] 形容家庭和顺,夫妻和睦。

[11] 整治家庭和治理国家

[12] 指由当地村民共同制定并要求共同遵守的规约。

[13] 到一个地方就按照这一个地方的风俗习惯生活。也比喻到什么地方都能适应

[14] 邦:国家。百姓是国家的根本。

[15] 建立国家,安定天下

[16] 使天下归服。怀柔:旧指统治者用政治手腕笼络人心,使之归服

[17] 燮和:协调,和顺。使国家协调和平。

[18] 人世间,社会上;国家与社会动态。

[19] 根据这一事物的道理,去推出与此类似的其他事物的道理

Darned good job with that chapter Eric.

And now that I am learning a bit more as to your theme of translating the chapters I am able to see better why you translate certain characters/phrases as you do.

17 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Darned good job with that chapter Eric.

And now that I am learning a bit more as to your theme of translating the chapters I am able to see better why you translate certain characters/phrases as you do.

Thank you for your kind appreciation. Of the 19 footnote, 16 of them are Chinese proverbs, indeed, very old Chinese proverbs from the Pre-Qin era. I must retain these proverbs in order to indicate clearly the direct link from the old texts to my translations which are in modern vernacular Chinese.  

Sign in to follow this