Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 12:7

When Yao was governing all under heaven, he appointed Uncle Complete Sir High as one of his feudal lords.  Later, Yao passed the throne to Shun, and Shun passed it on to Yŭ, whereupon Uncle Complete Sir High resigned his position as feudal lord and became a plowman.  Yŭ went to see him and found him plowing in the open fields.  Scurrying downwind, Yao stood and questioned him, saying, "Long ago, when Yao was governing all under heaven, he appointed you, sir, as one of the feudal lords.  Then Yao passed the throne to Shun, Shun passed it to me, whereupon you, sir, declined your position as feudal lord and became a plowman.  I venture to ask what the reason for this is."

"Long ago," said Sir High, "when Yao was governing all under heaven, he made no rewards but the people were encouraged.  He carried out no punishments, but the people were in awe.  Now you, sir, use rewards and punishments, but the people are not humane.  Consequently, virtue is on the wane and penalties are on the rise.  The disorder of future ages begins with this.  Why don't you just go away, sir, and not interrupt my work?"  With that, he busily set to plowing again and paid no more attention to Yu.
  • Like 1

There's perhaps a typo 

Scurrying downwind, Yao stood and questioned him, saying, "Long ago, when Yao was governing all under heaven, he 

shouldn't it say Yu? 

On 10/29/2017 at 9:06 AM, Marblehead said:

Now this one, I will suggest, is totally anti-Confucian.

In what way? Your idea on that. 

2 hours ago, Stosh said:

There's perhaps a typo 

Scurrying downwind, Yao stood and questioned him, saying, "Long ago, when Yao was governing all under heaven, he 

shouldn't it say Yu? 

Yes, there are a few typos in the document.  I catch some, some I miss and let you catch them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stosh said:

In what way? Your idea on that. 

The second paragraph says it all.

Confucian philosophy is based on rewards and punishments.  Chuang Tzu always speaks against reward and punishment.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this