Sign in to follow this  
taoteching99

Dhp 153 - 154

Fellow dharma friends,

I would like to have better understanding of this ( note : its just some beautiful quote that feels true to me, theres no deep understanding of it) :

At the moment of the attainment of Buddhahood,

the Buddha uttered the following two verses:

Verse 153: I, who have been seeking the builder of this house (body), failing to attain Enlightenment (Bodhi nana or Sabbannuta nana) which would enable me to find him, have wandered through innumerable births in samsara. To be born again and again is, indeed, dukkha!

Verse 154: Oh house-builder! You are seen, you shall build no house (for me) again. All your rafters are broken, your roof-tree is destroyed. My mind has reached the unconditioned (i.e., Nibbana); the end of craving (Arahatta Phala) has been attained.

* Kamasukhallikanuyoga and Attakiamathanuyoga.

Metta

• Like 2

I think that in verse 153, you may want to consider that the house is the local body-mind (not just the body). Additionally, in the Indian traditions of his time, one searched for the "ultimate Self" that one would cease into. One would use mantra and practices to clear the mind until that ultimate Self is realized.

In 154, he is saying that he has seen (or seen through) that concept of ultimate Self, and that happens when one have let go of all desires, attachments, and sees through the conditioned beliefs of the mind.

The Lankavatara sutra gives greater details and describes it like this...

"When earnest disciples have gotten rid of all their evil habit-energy and been able to realise the twofold egolessness, then they will not be intoxicated by the bliss of the Samadhis and will be awakened into the super-realm of the good non-outflowings. Being awakened into the realm of the good non-outflowings, they will be able to gather up all the requisities for the attainment of Noble Wisdom which is beyond conception and is of sovereing power. But really, Mahamati, there are no vehicles, and so i speak of the One Vehicle. Mahamati, the full recognition of the One Vehicle has never been attained by either earnest disciples, masters, or even by the great Brahma; it has been attained only by the Tathagatas themselves."

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this