Sign in to follow this  
noonespecial

The Higher Self...

i know the terms and definitions vary in the western traditions, all the way from egypt to sufism to abramelin to jung. But is there a rough general equivalency in Daosim? Like an overself or totality of te individual that surpasses time and space?

The only thing that comes to my mind is the Sage depending on how the person is spoken of.

I think that both Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu would define the Sage as a higher being (but no self).

From my limited understanding, the Perfect Man/Sage in Daoism, is still the man, or the time-space ego 'perfected' - meaning, it is a very practical ideal, it does not require a sort of surrender to a higher plane but simply requires work and discipline. It is easy to grasp, ie. "The perfect man uses his mind like a mirror". It seems the western percept would be that the Higher Self is the mirror (God>Higher Self>Me), which makes things a bit more abstract. Ie. The Theugist discovers his ego is being 'used' by his Higher Self/Angel much like a puppet to gather information from time space and return that information to timelessness, a concept I am not entirely comfortable with nor should anyone be (its creepy isnt it, thats the resitance of initiation). Although, the end result for the ego here in the world would be the same as that of the Sage, that is, "It is only the perfect man (sage) who is able to enjoy himself in the world and not be deflected from the right, to accommodate himself to others and not lose himself." - tao te ching

edit: horrendous spelling oversights :-)

Edited by noonespecial
  • Like 2

The Higher Self .... thingo .... seems to me to be a part of the process to  becoming  'the sage'   , not the thing itself.

Like the 'akh' is formed from the dynamics between ka and  ba and other components  .   The 'Higher self' seems more like a component .

The Zoroastrians speak of thee that come together to form  a 'united fravashi '  . a fravashi is a divine spark we all have , a khvarenah is sort of like the 'true will' concept .  When both are united ;

United Fravashi
  • A person's spiritual components, that is, the person's urvan (soul), mainyu (spirit), fravashi and khvarenah can unite and the spirits of the departed are generally referred to collectively as that person's (united) fravashi:

http://heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/overview/index.htm#components

That would make a sage I would think 

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this