Sign in to follow this  
Jim D.

The Way

Finding "the way" is a process of discovery. This has to be tried and that has to be tried. It depends on where your at Developmentally. I have always been behind...but I think that the time line window is getting smaller. Anyway, I started out learning Classical Wu Tai Chi. A very long and arduous learning curve. We use the abdomen and back muscles to drive 108 postures. But being impatient, I added other martial arts as a means to cross train e.g. Win Chun, Arnis. I needed to experience hand to hand combat. The outcome...injury, treatment, and then rethinking the risks of coninuing, stopping martial art altogether, or finding something to fill the void. Tai Chi was always there. It had never left. Continued along side the others. Still needed to feel I could protect me and mine. Then Iaido entered, the art of drawing the sword, Japanese Swordmanship. I was all in. Practiced three times per week outside of class. Made it to 3rd Kyu. And then it hit me...where is the meaning in this. Where is the way. I could not find it in Shinto. I could not find it in the language or the culture. I could not find it in the Samari code of conduct. I felt existential anxiety. How could I practice such grossly different styles of martial art and not be confused spiritually?  I was to consult the I Ching, but first needed to formulate a question that was open ended. I wrote out my feelings, impressions, and circumstances. Without throwing the coins, the answer came.

Tai Chi is to be the way, and Iaido is to be the sport learned.

JD

• Like 2

I hear you.  Tai Chi is still with me.  I'm now too old for the other stuff so I bought a 20 gauge shotgun.

Well, okay, so there's not much spirituality in a 20 gauge shotgun.  But still ... 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this