Sign in to follow this  
sillybearhappyhoneyeater

the importance of building qi in the dantian

This is another in my ongoing little series of public service announcements for people who might be able to use some help sorting out their practices:

even though it is very in vogue to talk about MCO, the three dantian, and chackras (I don't know why it isn't in vogue to talk about yinqiao, yang qiao, chong mai, sanguan and so on, but that is for another thread), there is one big piece of work which all aspiring meditators should do before any of that.

namely, you need to fill your dantian until it has enough qi to pour over into the rest of the body.

now, I know that there are several people on this board who actually know what they are doing, so this thread is not directed at you guys, except perhaps to add comments if need be.

to everyone else,

The lower dantian is the largest reservoir of energy in the entire body, and many of the very most important functions of the digestive system, excretory organs, autonaumic nervous system and so on are all located there.    The lower dantian is also right around your body's centre of balance, and the area connects your lower and upper body together.  It is really important!

As such, the one basic of meditation that everyone should practice every day is just to direct the mind to the dantian while breathing naturally through the nose.

This really isn't very complicated, and you all have some basic idea of how to do it, but many people who do qi gong or some people even who believe they are doing Daoist meditation (they usually aren't, but thats another story), often kind of skip over this part.

you should keep doing this for much longer, dare I say, most of your practice.

It is the easiest thing, just sit down, close your eyes lightly, touch the tongue to the roof of the mouth, breathe in and out through the nostrils in a way that is full enough that you get oxygen, but quiet enough that you can't hear it.  Stay like this and gradually become calm, forgetting the improtance of the narrative in your mind.   Don't worry about moving Qi around, don't worry about becoming enlightened, just stay in this dim and dark place as your mind disappears.

This practice does something very important, which is to gradually cause the energy in your lower abdomen to become stronger.  After a long enough time doing this type of very simply foundational exercise, you will intrinsically see its benefit.

This extremely easy exercise is much more powerful than all the guided MCO visualizations existing in the world.   It is the basis for beginning to actually really have some Qi to work with and not just empty loops created by the mind.

I feel very disturbed by how many bad MCO threads with wrong information I see everywhere, so I want to make these little public benefit statements to help convince people to invest the time in doing the right practice,  the boring, standard practice that helps you, not the exciting one that hurts you.

hope you get some value out of this.

• Like 10

While I was sick recently I just laid in bed and breathed into the LDT. Eventually the subtle breathe reaches and starts to connect, stabilize and fill. It was....quite refreshing.

• Like 2

This is another in my ongoing little series of public service announcements for people who might be able to use some help sorting out their practices:

even though it is very in vogue to talk about MCO, the three dantian, and chackras (I don't know why it isn't in vogue to talk about yinqiao, yang qiao, chong mai, sanguan and so on, but that is for another thread), there is one big piece of work which all aspiring meditators should do before any of that.

namely, you need to fill your dantian until it has enough qi to pour over into the rest of the body.

now, I know that there are several people on this board who actually know what they are doing, so this thread is not directed at you guys, except perhaps to add comments if need be.

to everyone else,

The lower dantian is the largest reservoir of energy in the entire body, and many of the very most important functions of the digestive system, excretory organs, autonaumic nervous system and so on are all located there.    The lower dantian is also right around your body's centre of balance, and the area connects your lower and upper body together.  It is really important!

As such, the one basic of meditation that everyone should practice every day is just to direct the mind to the dantian while breathing naturally through the nose.

This really isn't very complicated, and you all have some basic idea of how to do it, but many people who do qi gong or some people even who believe they are doing Daoist meditation (they usually aren't, but thats another story), often kind of skip over this part.

you should keep doing this for much longer, dare I say, most of your practice.

It is the easiest thing, just sit down, close your eyes lightly, touch the tongue to the roof of the mouth, breathe in and out through the nostrils in a way that is full enough that you get oxygen, but quiet enough that you can't hear it.  Stay like this and gradually become calm, forgetting the improtance of the narrative in your mind.   Don't worry about moving Qi around, don't worry about becoming enlightened, just stay in this dim and dark place as your mind disappears.

This practice does something very important, which is to gradually cause the energy in your lower abdomen to become stronger.  After a long enough time doing this type of very simply foundational exercise, you will intrinsically see its benefit.

This extremely easy exercise is much more powerful than all the guided MCO visualizations existing in the world.   It is the basis for beginning to actually really have some Qi to work with and not just empty loops created by the mind.

I feel very disturbed by how many bad MCO threads with wrong information I see everywhere, so I want to make these little public benefit statements to help convince people to invest the time in doing the right practice,  the boring, standard practice that helps you, not the exciting one that hurts you.

hope you get some value out of this.

So very true!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this