Sign in to follow this  
Oneironaut

Any Xing Yi Quan practitioners? I have some questions.

From the limited information I've come across it seems like xing yi quan shares many similarities with boxing in terms of power generation. I want to know several things

1) Does xing yi quan share bobbing, weaving, slipping, feints, excellent guards for defense and advanced footwork similar to boxing?

2) Also, has xing yi quan been influenced by boxing in more modern times?

I'm interested in learning one Chinese martial art (that isn't wing chun or tai chi) to go with my boxing and judo. It may end up being sanshou but I'm looking at xing yi quan also.

Edited by Oneironaut

From the limited information I've come across it seems like xing yi quan shares many similarities with boxing in terms of power generation. I want to know several things

1) Does xing yi quan share bobbing, weaving, slipping, feints, excellent guards for defense and advanced footwork similar to boxing?

2) Also, has xing yi quan been influenced by boxing in more modern times?

I'm interested in learning one Chinese martial art (that isn't wing chun or tai chi) to go with my boxing and judo. It may end up being sanshou but I'm looking at xing yi quan also.

Firstly, I have a small level of experience in regards to XingYiQuan. Take what I say and compare it with others more experienced, there happen to be a few here.

As far as I understand it, the mechanics are very different to boxing. XingYi is more...like a piston. A steam engine. It is whole body, unified and expressing a certain force/ vector. You also use special walking to gain grown and express forces while utilizing gravity.

Boxing does unify but not in the same way. Example- a strike in boxing is standing still and utilizes a chain from feet to hip to shoulder to hand. In XingYi your whole body would move as one, utilizing special walking to gain a more advantageous ground along with emitting force/vector.

Bobbing and weaving are not something I see in XingYi. It is better to move like a steam engine/ piston and gain ground + destabilize. Bobbing and weaving also wastes too much energy. Why spend the energy doing that when you need to end the fight with as little effort as possible? Next enemy could be near.

I think many styles of MA are influenced by boxing now. If it has aspects that work, it will be utilized. Is the XingYi you will be learning legitimate? Is it really going to cultivate your skill and body-mind in the right way? I dont know.

Anywho, I hope that helps.

Xingyi and boxing are different.

Different power generation, different technique, different everything.

There is no bobbing and weaving except in monkey, which is a very small snippet of the style.

xingyi is about forward moving, sticking, bridging, overcoming, and pummelling.

Unlike boxing, the goal is not to reorient yourself and go in from another angle, it is to change angles directly while pressing a forward attack.  

boxing was born of a sportive mindset with match fighting in mind.  xingyi was born of spear and saber technique and was tested in the battle field (with weapons).  

I don't hold the internal arts as being any better than kyokushin or sanda for sparring, but in terms of establishing physical control from a close distance, they are very good.  The issue of course is that if you are put up against a boxer, for sure you will lose, or have to alter your quan,  because xingyi wasn't made to fight under those conditions.  

almost all northern chinese martial arts have some degree of sticking and following practice that involves close body contact, so that is quite different from boxing arts.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this