Beauty is in eyes of beholder.

Orchid below will drive male thynnine wasps and gives out scent and looked so much like the female wasp that the male wasp engages in holy yapyum with the flower thinking he latched on a succulent female wasp.

p02hzkmy.jpg

Same same for spider orchid below!

p02hzkhv.jpg

Idiotic Taoist warning wasps  to  lust with care

• Like 2

Beauty is in eyes of beholder.

Orchid below will drive male thynnine wasps and gives out scent and looked so much like the female wasp that the male wasp engages in holy yapyum with the flower thinking he latched on a succulent female wasp.

Those are tricks many plants use to get pollinated.

There is only one insect on the planet that can pollinate the Brazil Nut flower.

• Like 1

That snake just got a rat into its belly.  It wouldn't be able to run away if it wanted to.

Hi Marblehead,

Not a snake,blue tongue lizard turned up one of those really hot days,the kids gave it a drink of water,then it retreated to shade.

Not a flower either but part of the flower garden.

Hi Marblehead,

Not a snake,blue tongue lizard turned up one of those really hot days,the kids gave it a drink of water,then it retreated to shade.

Not a flower either but part of the flower garden.

Nice that your kids are relating with nature in a peaceful manner.  I have known kids who, on seeing something like that would want to kill it.

Yeah, the flowers bring insects, the insects bring lizards, the lizards bring snakes.  All part of the eco system.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

I am down to less than 50 black and white graphics to colorize.  Moving right along.

Hi Marblehead,

It will be alright to post black and white pics.

Hi Marblehead,

It will be alright to post black and white pics.

Yeah, I know.  But this is a project for myself as well.  For a very long time I have wanted to colorize those pictures but just never got around to it.  Now I have a reason.  The job will get done.  Then I will post some.

• Like 2

Hi Marblehead,

So are going to tell us about the only insect to pollinate a Brazil nut flower?

I forgot.  It is a very large bee, can't recall it's name.  It is the only one that has enough strength to lift one flower pedal to get to the nectar.  Let's see ... yes, it is called the Orchid Bee.  And it is done by only the female.  The male is smaller and gets its food elsewhere.

It was said that this is why the Brazil Nut tree has never been cultivated.  All harvesting is done from trees growing in the wild.

• Like 1

I'm just bumping this so it doesn't get lost before I get done with my flowers.  I'm almost half way through the second phase of edit and clean up.

I might post a "Before" and "After" picture of one I have completed just to show anyone who is interested what I am doing during this second phase.  (It doesn't take too much imagination to visualize one being colorized from black and white.)

• Like 1

Lady bugs are good guys.  They are carnivores.  They eat things that would otherwise destroy the plant.  Most ants are good too.

• Like 1