Pietro

Taoists exercises to differentiate what is real and what is an illusion

Please to forgive the ravings of a mad man :lol:

forgive?!?!

How about I thank you instead. You started peeling back the non-essential. Time doesn't become compressed, instead all unnecessary filters are removed. Then we can pass a lot more bandwidth with less processing.

Regardless; there is no such thing as "reality." There is what is, but none of us humans actually experiences it at a pure level. We have habits, faith, beliefs, practices, etc. that all shape our perception.

The person who is most sure that they - through knowledge, practice, enlightenment, or what have you - perceive true reality, is the person with the strongest belief in their ability to perceive reality. And belief is not reality.

Anyone who claims to be a Master is fooling themselves. Anyone who believes the insistence of their disciples that they are a Master is fooled by their disciples. The closer you get to practicing and believing nothing, and accepting everything - the nearer you are to experiencing reality. But as long as we are human, we will never know reality.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Todd,

thank you for the "places your mind goes with this." Cool places! :) If I don't respond soon (gotta run... chasing the tail of Time as Wen-tzu suggests), I'll try to later. Here's a thought from Talmud though:

"...you say time is running out? Time stands still. You are running out."

OK... in order to understand jing, the closest thing to "time" available to a mere mortal's perceptions, one needs to grasp how a tree contracts into a seed. And that's where "the power of now" as commonly understood by quite a few live-in-the-present sloganeers is very likely to fail. It is impossible to grasp if "now" is severed from "before now" and "after now."

Taomeow,

Sometimes your complexity is so simple. :)

So today, I write a simple verse in appreciation.

Agapē (haiku)

she is like carborundum

then she is like silk

can you see that I love her

;)