Yasjua

Films about the Chinese Cultural Revolution

I'm interested in watching films about the Cultural Revolution (pre, during, post) in China. They can be documentaries or semi-fictional stories. Any perspective on that era would be good. Thank you.

• Like 1

The best film I've ever seen on this subject is Morning Sun (2003) by Carma Hinton. The creators of the movie were granted access to some unprecedented footage, from the personal archives of several Chinese expats who survived the era. Within China most of this material is under lock and key, or has been destroyed. Definitely worth seeing at least once.

I'm interested in watching films about the Cultural Revolution (pre, during, post) in China. They can be documentaries or semi-fictional stories. Any perspective on that era would be good. Thank you.

Off the top of my head, the ones I've seen and would recommend:

"To Live"  

"Balsac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" 

"The Road Home" -- a love story with only a "flavor" of the "Anti-Rightist Campaign" in the background.

From the pre- period (WWII) -- "Red Cherry."  The main protagonists are Chinese but the story takes them elsewhere.  One of the most poignant movies ever made.

From an earlier pre-period (1920s) -- "Raise the Red Lantern."  This one can give one a very good idea of why the support for Communists in China doubled overnight when Mao proclaimed women's equality, for the first time in Chinese history.  If only he stopped there, China would have been ruling the world already, not just poising to.