Sign in to follow this  
karen

Questions about homeopathy

Hi rain,

yes, i suppose that could describe why I prefer the balance btween hot and cold, and my friend gets warm after swimming in ice. but we wouldn't know how it effects us without trying would we?..

Not necessarily. You can know what the situation is, whether it's an imbalance that requires the law of opposites to balance it. Or it might be a completely different type of energetic distrubance, which Dr. Hahnemann defined as disease, and that requires the law of similars to remove it.

For example, if you're too hot, you have a simple imbalance, and need the law of opposites to bring in a cooling influence. But if you have a burn, you have an energetic impingement that now requires the law of similars to treat it effectively.

Then you also know how you are applying the remedy, and what dosage/potency you need in order to be applying it correctly. So it doesn't have to be trial and error, when a practitioner knows what they're doing :).

Didn't you say something about homeopathy being about trying out both potences and remedies.

I'm not sure what you mean, or what I said that gave you that impression - can you clarify?

20 years ago I took ignatia prescribed by a homeopath and I've never been so ill in all my life. I thought I was poisoned and dying. (my husband sneezed and kindly scolded me for being such an idiot to "swallow something unknown given by someone unknown"). Then I was offered staphisagria because my reaction indicated that she missed but was very close..., but to tell you the truth the ordeal vaccinated me. Most of my friends consult homeopaths and I believe it works. For them. :)

Well, there is a lot of misunderstanding about what it means for a remedy to "work," and also how to give the right remedies at the right time, in a way that doesn't knock a person's socks off :).

First, it's very common to have healing reactions from remedies, where you actually feel worse before getting better. This is like when you're renovating a house, you have to expect a certain amount of disruption in the process of making the improvements, and they're not always pleasant.

If someone was walking by and didn't realize that a healing process was going on, they might think that someone was vandalizing the house, and they might mistake it for a destructive process. This is the problem, when all we know is that we feel sick, and we don't know how to discern the difference between a healing reaction and a disease process.

But that's what a good Heilkunstler knows how to do. Remember that homeopathy as it's commonly practiced is very limited, and they're not always following Dr. Hahnemann's teaching, which is to give the right remedy at the right time, in the optimal dose.

Often the remedy given isn't the right one. Often it's not given at the right time, or in the optimal dose. How to determine the right remedy, time and dose takes extensive and deep study of the principles that Dr. Hahnemann laid out, which are difficult to read, and not many practitioners delve into the literature that deeply. All Heilkunst students are required to.

So it's very possible that Ignatia was not the right remedy for you, or it was the wrong time or wrong dose/potency. Or if it did meet all those requirements, then maybe your discomfort was a healing reaction (or aggravation, and there's a difference.)

Or maybe the Ignatia disease was removed, and then your life force decided to tackle the next disease - possibly a trauma that occurred previously, which was being hidden by the Ignatia disease before. People generally have quite a complex of energetic disturbances - and it's important that a practitioner has a "map" of the territory and to proceed systematically and according to principle.

It's very hard to do actual harm with these remedies, but improper prescribing can cause unnecessary discomfort. There are many possibilities, which can only be determined within the context of the particular case, so it's hard to say exactly why you had symptoms from taking Ignatia.

But the main point I wanted to make about all this is that good prescribing for a Heilkunst practitioner is not a matter of trial and error at all. That's what makes Heilkunst a science, not just an empirical method based on subjective judgment of the results.

It's an understanding of real diagnosis, so that we know exactly what's being treated - not in an arbitrary way like the allopathic disease labels, but what is the real phenomenon behind the disturbance being seen. Then we know the principles of nature that we need to invoke in order to remove the disease. Of course it's politically incorrect to talk about disease and cure if you're not an MD, but there it is :).

When a practitioner is skilled enough to recognize Ignatia disease, for example, then it's certain that Ignatia will remove that disease. It's not hit-or-miss, but Ignatia always cures Ignatia disease; Belladonna always cures Belladonna disease. If it's a chronic disease, it can take some time to chip away at the layers. But the remedial process has two actions that we need to account for -

1. the primary action of the remedy, which is curative (when it's the right remedy, time, and dose/potency, given according to the law of similars, in a particular instance of disease).

2. the counter-action which is up to the life force to accomplish (the healing reaction), in order to restore balance, rebuild tissue, etc.

The healing reaction, which is what puts humpty dumpty back together again in a healthier way, is something we can't predict. But we do know the diagnosis of the disease (diagnosis literally means knowing "through" something - seeing into the inner essence of something), and then we know the remedy that removes that disease.

I had some unfortunate experiences myself, for many years (back in the '80's), when I was being treated by classical homeopaths. Most of the remedies weren't wrong, but when they were given at the wrong time and wrong dose/potency, the healing reactions were more severe than necessary, and I wasn't seeing any real progress. If you're on a certain journey, you will have to pass through certain areas, but you can be thrown way off course if you don't have a good map.

I'm sorry if this was a little more detail than you might have been asking for! But there are a lot of misconceptions about homeopathy, and it takes going into some detail to clarify things. There's a lot more to understanding what homeopathy is, and how it's used according to principle within the framework of Dr. Hahnemann's complete medical system, Heilkunst.

-Karen

I cant recall any socks. :(;) That's my point. You speak of socks when I tell you I actually thought I was dying.

Maybe I misunderstand? Forgive me if I do.

Hi rain, okay, let's see if we can clear this up. By "knocking one's socks off" I meant that the wrong remedy prescription (either the wrong remedy, wrong time or wrong dose/potency) could destabilize a person in a dramatic way.

There are many possible reasons why a person might have an experience in which they think they're dying, and I couldn't say anything definitive as to what caused that.. but that it's very possible for the wrong remedy, especially in high potencies, to produce some dramatic healing reactions or aggravations. I've been there, for sure.

Even the correct prescription can stimulate a dramatic counter-action on the part of the life force as it does all the restorative work it needs to do. But usually with the correct treatment, the person feels stronger in some way at the core, even if the healing process isn't always pleasant.

I once had a 5-element acupuncture treatment that was so painful that it was experienced as a terrible trauma. The practitioner tried to convince me that it was a healing reaction, but I knew that the treatment was wrong. Ultimately your inner wisdom knows when a treatment is right and the discomfort is just a healing process - or the treatment is wrong and it's weakening or destabilizing you in a negative way.

But a good practitioner should also know how to prescribe properly, based on principle. The difficulty with homeopathy is that most homeopaths are basing their understanding on dogma that doesn't have any real basis. The fallacies can all be shown clearly. But just like religious dogma, people who are attached to it are usually not interested in hearing anything that challenges it.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up! If not, I'll try again :)

Karen

Hi rain, okay, let's see if we can clear this up. By "knocking one's socks off" I meant that the wrong remedy prescription (either the wrong remedy, wrong time or wrong dose/potency) could destabilize a person in a dramatic way.

There are many possible reasons why a person might have an experience in which they think they're dying, and I couldn't say anything definitive as to what caused that.. but that it's very possible for the wrong remedy, especially in high potencies, to produce some dramatic healing reactions or aggravations. I've been there, for sure.

Even the correct prescription can stimulate a dramatic counter-action on the part of the life force as it does all the restorative work it needs to do. But usually with the correct treatment, the person feels stronger in some way at the core, even if the healing process isn't always pleasant.

I once had a 5-element acupuncture treatment that was so painful that it was experienced as a terrible trauma. The practitioner tried to convince me that it was a healing reaction, but I knew that the treatment was wrong. Ultimately your inner wisdom knows when a treatment is right and the discomfort is just a healing process - or the treatment is wrong and it's weakening or destabilizing you in a negative way.

But a good practitioner should also know how to prescribe properly, based on principle. The difficulty with homeopathy is that most homeopaths are basing their understanding on dogma that doesn't have any real basis. The fallacies can all be shown clearly. But just like religious dogma, people who are attached to it are usually not interested in hearing anything that challenges it.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up! If not, I'll try again :)

Karen

Thank you Karen youre a good pal. Sometimes one needs to work on trusting intuition.

Thank you Karen youre a good pal. Sometimes one needs to work on trusting intuition.

Yep, and so the universe brings us circumstances that challenge us, so we can get that spiritual exercise. Then the trick is to see the whole thing as a helpful workout rather than a liability! At one level, pain and discomfort and suffering are real experiences to us - but at the same time, deeper in our consciousness we can be knowing, "ah, this must be part of the course I signed up for" ;).

Sign in to follow this