Sign in to follow this  
Taoist Texts

4 符言 Fuxin Words from registers

符言

19 符言:

老子曰:道者直己而待命,時之至不可迎而反也,時之去不可足而援也,故聖人不進而求,不退而讓,隨時三年,時去我走,去時三年,時在我後,無去無就,中立其所。天道無親,唯德是與,福之至非己之所求,故不伐其功,禍之來非己之所生,故不悔其行,中心其恬,不累其德,狗吠不驚,自信其情,誠無非分,故通道者不惑,知命者不憂。帝王之崩藏骸於野,其祭也祀之於明堂,神貴於形也,故神制形則從,形勝神則窮,聰明雖用,必反諸神,謂之大通。

Lao-zi said:

The implementation of Dao is straightforward, all there is to it is to wait for the mandate*. When it comes - you must not counter and resist it; when it is taken away - you must not stall and cling to it. That is why the sages do not advance to seek it, do not retreat to yield it, follow the times for the three years**, the time goes – I go, after the three years have passed – the timing is up to me, so I neither leave nor arrive, but occupy the proper centre.

The Heavenly Dao is non-partisan, and (awards mandates) to only those with De, when good fortune arrives – it is not because I sought it specifically, so no point in bragging about the merit; when a misfortune arrives – it is not because I gave rise to it specifically, so no point in deploring the conduct.

So be serene in your heart, do not wear out its De, do not be scared of barking dogs, trust your passions, do not divide your sincerity. It is like this, that those who have penetrated the implementation of Dao do not doubt, and those who understand the mandate do not regret.

For when the emperor passes away his bones are hid in the wilderness, sacrifices are made to him in the Temple of Brightness, but it is his spirit that is the most valuable in his body, therefore when your spirit controls your body the body obeys, but when the body overcomes the spirit – the spirit depletes, although its intelligence is keen. You must return to the all bodily spirits which is called the Great Penetration.

*to the kingdom

**3 years of grieving for the previous king

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this