Sign in to follow this  
Mdb

Taking things for granted

Yesterday I went to the fair with my wife and my three year old. We rode various kiddie rides including the merry go round and a school bus that goes up and down, nothing major, just kiddie rides. I noticed after we got home that I felt discombobulated the rest of the day, a little off balance, a little queasy, just not quite right. That got me to thinking, why as a kid could I ride practically anything and not only feel okay afterward, but actually feel exhilarated, yet as an adult a simple merry go round leaves me feeling off kilter the rest of the day? The answer is simple, I haven't done it in twenty years! We ( as adults ) take so much for granted and lose skills we once possessed as we get older without even realizing it. Some people would think to themselves, " children can do it because they don't know any better ", but is the opposite not true? Adults can't do it because we have pre-conceived notions of balance and control. Notions that obviously are simply not true, yet we make them true in our own heads. I believe adults do this in a lot of other areas also. We lose the ability to imagine, dream, and create. The older we get without using these skills, the harder it is to get them back. The reason I am drawn to Taoism is because it gives you the ability to keep your mind open as opposed to some other religions that are very intolerant and closed minded.

• Like 1

This was a very enjoyable, and reflective, read. Thank-you.

As adults, if we seek the child within, we will also be as pliable and free.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this