90_1494798740

The Brutish Brain

I think the explanation is simpler--dopamine levels in the brain have dropped with changes in the food supply. Low dopamine means less sensual sensitivity and less sensual pleasure.

I think the explanation is simpler--dopamine levels in the brain have dropped with changes in the food supply. Low dopamine means less sensual sensitivity and less sensual pleasure.

Well, sounds quite logical. The fuel/building material determines the performance of the machine so to speak ...

How do you explain the different camera work in todays music videos and movies? This is a stereotypical example of that different way of perception. Older movies are perceived as very boring (less action = less pleasure) by the MTV generation! What about the different brain types they are referring to (old - modified old - new brain)? I can't believe that these changes are only due to the dopamine levels of the food!

Edited by Guest

Very interesting indeed! I have long felt that young people DO have a decreased attention span and a higher need for stimulation. It is a chicken and egg question, isn't it? Did the increased stimulation of today's media cause a shorter attention span or did a shorter attention span cause the increased stimulation of the media? :blink:

Anyway - I've tried to be proactive in raising my daughter by limiting the amount of time she spends watching tv, playing on the computer, and playing video games. Still, she's an average 13 year old with zero attention span. Will she outgrow it? Who knows? <_<

V.

Edited by VeeCee

Although I was born in 1952, a little past their 1949 threshold, I very much have an old brain. I seem to have a hearing loss when I'm around noisy things like air conditioners, heavy traffic, and television, yet when I go into the woods I hear things others do not. My sense of smell is especially keen.

Now, I simply don't cope well with the "new thought/image/sound a second" of television, and I almost never watch it. I don't enjoy movies that have too many cutaways and a lot of shifts from dark to bright, so I don't watch them either. Sounds like it might be a subconscious urge to preserve the old brain ... and my sanity. :D

Although I was born in 1952, a little past their 1949 threshold, I very much have an old brain. I seem to have a hearing loss when I'm around noisy things like air conditioners, heavy traffic, and television, yet when I go into the woods I hear things others do not. My sense of smell is especially keen.

Now, I simply don't cope well with the "new thought/image/sound a second" of television, and I almost never watch it. I don't enjoy movies that have too many cutaways and a lot of shifts from dark to bright, so I don't watch them either. Sounds like it might be a subconscious urge to preserve the old brain ... and my sanity. :D

I'm with you. I was born in 1958, but I am also bothered by a lot of sounds and visual images. As a result, I watch almost no television and rarely have any kind of background noise (radio, cds, etc.). This became especially noticable about the seven years ago after a self-imposed media fast (no tv, no radio, no newspaper, no magazines). My last vice is my computer, which I'm obviously not going to give up. :)

V.

Edited by VeeCee

I am certain my brain has changed since I've been on my diet (nine years now).

There are studies showing ADD and ADHD may be caused by omega-3 fatty acid deficiencies. It stands to reason that today's young people, so starved of these essential nutrients may show some signs of short attention span even if they don't have full-blown ADD.

There are studies showing ADD and ADHD may be caused by omega-3 fatty acid deficiencies. It stands to reason that today's young people, so starved of these essential nutrients may show some signs of short attention span even if they don't have full-blown ADD.

Yes - I'm thinking about reading up on a nutritional approach to ADD/ADHD. Not that my daughter has it, but my nephew does. I would be interested in what the research shows.

V.

Being born in the 80' doesn't make me a "newer brain" person. :blink: On the contrary, the smell, the touch, the hearing are more powerful that most of those around me.

And for many years I didn't even watch my diet carefully though I prefer non-junk food.

Is it because of the practice ? Maybe. :unsure:

Is it because I was educated and I educated myself to watch closely what's around me and always filter information ? Maybe.

But the discoveries are very interesting. And I think they're right. -_-

The newer generations have a lot of problems with reactions, attention and much more. They are more like zombie.

musette