Lataif

Five Elements, Emotions, and Music . . .

In a separate forum . . . I was advised that in QiGong the 5 Elements are used to interpret emotions.

Here is my reply:

"That sounds good . . . until you actually try to apply it specifically to the variety and subtlety of our emotions.

For example: which element (and organ . . .) would be involved in the response to (and appreciation of . . .) the "Liebstod" from Wagner's "Tristan and Isolde" (?)

And how is that response/appreciation similar to that evoked by the Everly Brothers' "Let It Be Me" . . . but subtly different from that of Dylan's "I Want You" (?)

Sufism has specific answers to these kinds of questions. I haven't yet seen anything similar from Qigong . . ."

The makers of these systyms didn't hope to stay current with what you or me thought was interesting or worth understanding.

Answers are a funny thing. You want to know if a set of practices addressed what you think is the most important thing. All practices ask the individual to work hard at stuff before they ask too many questions.

A stand off, if you will.

What are the answers?

Sufism concentrates on a level of reality that is apparently unknown to Taoism and QiGong -- the level of the Lataif. Sufism understands the Lataif to be the ultimate underlying qualities that pattern all of manifest reality.

Specifically for humans . . . they pattern our experience of human emotions. QiGong's equivalent perspective on emotions (that they are patterned by combinations of the 5 Elements) . . . seems to me too general and vague.

Music provides a comprehensive means for testing/exploring any understanding of emotions . . . because all emotions are apparently represented in Music. So for each and every piece of Music we ask the question: what specific emotion(s) is it eliciting in the experience of the listener (?)

Sufism has specific answers: the Lataif.

It doesn't seem to me that Qigong has specific answers -- only vague generalities. I have yet to see anyone explain the experience of a piece of Music in QiGong terms by demonstrating how it combines such and such a specific combination of the 5 Elements.

But I'd be very, very glad to be proven wrong in that conclusion . . .

Edited by Lataif

Can you go through the examples in your original post, and explain how those emotions relate to the Lataif? I'm not seeing how it has more specific answers, and am interested in learning.

• Like 1

Can you go through the examples in your original post, and explain how those emotions relate to the Lataif? I'm not seeing how it has more specific answers, and am interested in learning.

Sure. Specific experiential example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxt56XOV3A

(Cick on the title to go to the written explanation . . .).

Edited by Lataif