Sign in to follow this  
Mal

[HHC Study] Hua Hu Ching Chapter 18

There is no one method for attaining realization of the Tao. To regard any method as the method is to create a duality, which can only delay your understanding of the subtle truth. The mature person perceives the fruitlessness of rigid, external methodologies; Remembering this, he keeps his attitude unstructured at all times and thus is always free to pursue the Integral Way. He studies the teachings of the masters. He dissolves all concepts of duality. He pours himself out in service to others. He performs his inner cleansing and does not disturb his teacher with unnecessary entanglements, thus preserving the subtle spiritual connection with the teacher's divine energy. Gently eliminating all obstacles to his own understanding, he constantly maintains his unconditional sincerity. His humility, perseverance, and adaptability evoke the response of the universe and fill him with divine light.

Walker's HHC 18

http://brianbrownewalker.com/hua-hu-ching/

At that time the prince asked the master again, "Venerable Teacher, if good men and women are motivated to attain correct awareness in order to restore their integral nature, how can they maintain their awareness and subdue the delusive activity of the mind?"

The master replied, "Kind prince, good people who are motivated to attain the correct awareness of a universal being should dissolve all conceptions of duality. With integral awareness of their moral responsibility, they will be able to help all people eliminate the darkness of the dichotomous mind and the delusions stemming from concepts of existence and non-existence so that they can finally attain the essence of integral subtle transcendence. When this has been achieved, the one who renders service to others discovers that, in truth, there is no one being served; he no longer perceives other lives as external to himself, nor does he perceive his own existence as separate and individual. If universal beings still held any concepts of self and others, longevity and brevity, life and death, then they would not be beings of true universal awareness.

"Kind prince, what do you think? Did I attain awareness of the integral nature of the universe through the use of any special esoteric method?"

"No, Venerable Teacher," replied the prince, "As I understand, what you teach us is not something that can be obtained through the practice of any esoteric method, for there is no specific device that can uplift one to the higher realms. Once something is labeled as the ultimate method or device, it has already become a hindrance to one's attainment of integral awareness. Therefore, to an intergral or universal being, any external established means is not the Universal Way."

"You are right, kind prince. There truly is no way for a Universal One to separate his being from the nature of the universe. If I had used any particular way to attain awareness of the integral nature of the universe, then the masters who live in the deep central realm of one great life would not have recognised me as a universal being. They refer to me, however, as a cosmic person who lives in all times and places, and this is what a universal being should be.

"If there is someone who states that a Universal One has attained the correct awareness of the integral nature of the universe by means of any specific way, then he is simply mistaken. There is no relative, specific way in which one can achieve awareness of the integral truth. The integral truth of the universe cannot be distinguished through a dualistic mode of perception. Therefore, a Universal One teaches only the integral way of life. What are labeled as methods of achieving enlightenment and uplifting one to the higher realms, wise prince, do not exist in the integral realm.

"Kind prince, one of integral virtue is selfless and impartial. When my fellow students and I studied with our teacher, no one received special attention or instruction for his own particular benefit. The teacher gave the same instruction to all of us and it was up to each student to absorb, digest and develop the teaching within himself. A student should not attempt to provoke special attention or instruction from his teacher, nor should he attempt to sway the teacher to show a personal preference for him. Some people try very hard to impress a deity in whom they believe in order to invoke special favours or blessings, but this is only a fantasy that demonstrates the persons lack of true spiritual development. Unconditional sincerity is what evokes a response from the subtle realm of universal divine power.

"For a teacher to impart his wisdom to others is purely a realization of his virtue. A student should not try to disturb his teacher with emotional or material entanglements of any kind, because the gross energy of mental, physical or emotional entanglement severs the subtle spiritual connection with the divine energy. If a disciple is excessively emotional or his mind is very rigid, good teachings will be distorted and the teacher's wisdom will not be assimilated. If the teacher must continually work on the student's mental problems, he is prevented from sharing his spiritual treasure with the student. The student should not insist that the teacher solve his problems or do the inner work that is an essential aspect of one's own cultivation. Instead, the student should eliminate all obstacles and make himself an empty vessel to receive the light of One Great Life from his teacher."

Ni's HHC 18

http://www.bookdepository.com/Complete-Works-Lao-Tzu-Hua-Ching-Ni/9780937064009

There is no one method for attaining realization of the Tao. To regard any method as the method is to create a duality, which can only delay your understanding of the subtle truth

It would be a quite discussion board if everyone practiced this :)

• Like 1

ah... Walker's Chapter 13 comment on the 'notions of the mind' was terse, simple and profound...

And now we get the clarify of 'no one method'...

I have come to appreciate what Walker is doing in his work...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this