Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

The enteric nervous system

I have been studying this topic recently and wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions as to its role in energy work, etc.

Please see a brief explanation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_nervous_system

8735_17760_5.jpg

...so some points I find interesting is its location, its store of neurotransmitters, its ability to operate autonomously from the CNS, and its mass of neurons.

-Location seems synonymous with area of LDT. I have found many others online who associate LDT with enteric nervous system. LDT is often called the 'belly brain.' I had once thought that maybe LDT was associated with the vagus nerve, but that is way too small for storing that much energy in my opinion. I am betting on enteric nervous system as the place now. The vagus nerve branches out in the wall of the stomach and the gut. The stomach seems to be too high to be the LDT.

-Store of neurotransmitters is significant - that article above mentions that "More than 90% of the body's serotonin lies in the gut, as well as about 50% of the body's dopamine..."

-while it communicates with the CNS through the vagus nerve (and some ganglia), it continues to function if severed from the vagus nerve - this is one reason why it is called a 'second brain.'

-The sheer number of neurons here is huge - 1/10th the number of neurons in the spinal cord, and 1/1000th the number in the brain.

An interesting thought I had was how there are some cultivators who seem in perfect shape, but have the 'Buddha belly.' Is it possible that they have stored so much energy here that it takes up more space?

I was discussing the fact that it was possible that energy could be stored in the Dantien in the form of a physical substance or elixir. Perhaps some kind thick jelly-like substance? Is there a reason they often call dantiens 'elixir fields'? Usually elixir refers to a liquid-like substance.

I read an interesting site where this guy who has been training in various martial arts goes and gets an exorcism from a Sheikh and he vomits up all this strange mucus like substance from his digestive system. See it here: http://www.dangerofchi.org/mystory.htm

I don't know about his theories on it...but I still do wonder how bioelectricity could be stored in any appreciable amount without becoming excessive. I have heard/discussed various theories about vortexes, spiraling energy, standing waves, etc. From a logic point of view, a chemical storage system makes a better point of view.

Edited by Songtsan

Cool. Chunyi Lin says in one of his guild talks that he took this special TCM herb - a double mix of stuff - and it was to clean out his liver - but then his dose was too strong or the mix or something and he sweated profusely and he was sick and he thought he was going to die. But then when he recovered the next day he knew that what happened had been what he needed since he could see the light in his lower tan tien. So he said as he was giving the guild talk he could see a three dimensional light in his lower tan tien as he was talking to everyone.

So I think the lower tan tien light energy - is a kind of holographic spiritual higher dimensional realm - it is based on surrounding the spirit light with chi energy - so vitality-spirit.

I think most "masters" probably just build up the chi energy in the lower tan tien but probably don't get to the level of really opening up the spirit energy of the lower tan tien.

oh yeah and Chunyi Lin doesn't have any "buddha belly." haha.

So -- I mean Master Ni, hua-ching says how the Buddha Belly is just a folk myth as the mirth of prosperity but not how Buddha ever looked or a master is supposed to look....

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus
  • Like 1

From what I read this site ( http://www.dangerofchi.org ) is a pro Islam and anti Buddhism site. LOL

Yep! It is...if its fake its merely an interesting read....I actually contacted the author, but he wasn't too interested in discussing his theories, even though I approached him from a point of being interested in learning more about what he thought, and offered several theories in support of his position. I examine all sides of an argument.

Sign in to follow this