Sign in to follow this  
Cheshire Cat

Mantra meditation in suttas

I was looking for some old references in the practice of mantra meditation in the most ancient buddhist scriptures because it seems that this is something peculiar to the mahayana schools.

Theravadin monks recite suttas as long mantras, but I'm not aware of any specific instruction explained in some text of this school... guess mantrasati sutta :D

My understanding is that mantras are just chanted in Buddhism, apart from in some tantric techniques, because mantras aren't that effective for shamatha or vipassana. So mantra meditation wouldn't be in the sutras.

You can only focus the mind in shamatha so sharply on a deliberately generated thought which lasts briefly, ends, and has to be recreated.

I don't see how a mantra could be used as vipassana to probe into the nature of experience in the way koan contemplation, self-inquiry or Mahasi Sayadaw's method does.

I think mantra meditation is done as tantric practice intended to work on chi and hone particular qualities, but not as an especially major practice. In the generation stage, the emphasis is on deity yoga. In the completion stage, after chi-related practices, mahamudra and mindfulness to realise emptiness are needed to actually break through to realisation. My knowledge of tantra is limited though, so I may be wrong.

It can also be just a mistaken modern concoction, as in TM or AYP which oversimplifies cultivation as just quieting coarse thought.

Edited by Seeker of the Self
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this