Sign in to follow this  
EasternInternalArts

Manners

Good manners open doors. Pursuing anything starts with good manners. One’s expression displays one’s upbringing. If you want to study with someone or get help from someone, try to be a little humble and polite.

I often get emails with no salutation and no signature from those wanting to study with me and to attend to my retreats. Or emails demanding an answer as soon as possible, or sending his and his pets pictures to me with the attitude that they want to see what I can see and how good I am, or tell me what a big meditator they are and I don’t resonate with them but they need my help to remove an entity…

What a world we are living in? I used to think English is a very polite language and Western people have higher education and are very well-mannered. Becoming a healer I see more sides of people than as a teacher. I start to understand all the teachings that I have received, and the truth about mindfulness of cause and effect, and why I was chosen to be a dharma healer. Someone asked me whether I feel burdened with such an ability of healing. If you take it personally, absolutely it is, but my training is to be impersonal. Birth and death flows in between. I am walking on my path with sharing. Hopefully, we all can be trained with better manners for our own sake.

天命之謂性,率性之謂道,修道之謂教。“That which is ordained by Tian (God, a spiritual deity, heaven) is called nature; to follow that nature is called the way; to cultivate the way is called teaching.” (Zhongyong 中庸,The Doctrine of the Mean, one of the four books of Confucian philosophy)

Sifu Jenny Lamb
http://www.easterninternalarts.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/EasternInternalArts/
Na Mo A Mi Tuo Fo 南無阿彌陀佛

• Like 12

Polite repartee can be effective as a social palliative, but that's not saying much, if at all. And it does not even penetrate, much less deal with the underlying reality.

Beating one with a staff or stiff language can often be more effective and even more appropriate.

Nice seen as nice is not nice; therefore how can it suffice?

Social niceties are effective as social niceties and little else.

Errors of omission come to mind.❤

• Like 1

I often get emails with no salutation and no signature from those wanting to study with me and to attend to my retreats. Or emails demanding an answer as soon as possible, or sending his and his pets pictures to me with the attitude that they want to see what I can see and how good I am, or tell me what a big meditator they are and I don’t resonate with them but they need my help to remove an entity…

Expecting respect?

I think you are forgetting that we are all children and prone to err.

Expectation of manners and politeness is too selfish to be of benefit to potential learning if people are not given a chance in the first of places on account of their aesthetic appearances, or lack thereof.

Appearances are all manners are; black skin versus white skin, blond hair versus auburn.

Do we really need to place emphasis on the surface appearances rather than the deeper and meaningful reality?

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

Sign in to follow this