Sign in to follow this  
SeekingSilence

'ello!

Hey everyone,

I found this site after doing a search for a Master Waysun Liao, and his name popped up in a thread. This seems like an interesting place, so I hope you all don't mind if I wander around here for a while.

Thanks,

SeekingSilence

Glad to have you here, feel free to make some noise.

What brings you to do research on Master Liao?

Michael

Well, originally, I had purchased The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan by Wong Kiew Kit and then began wandering around their forums over there. Although the book had a lot of excellent history and diagrams, I'm just not somebody who can learn such things from a book. It may be useful in the future for a reference text, but I can't learn the sequences upfront from the book. I found that there was somebody else based in my area also participating on the WKK forums (who also participates here from what I've seen: forestofsouls), so I asked if he knew of any decent taiji instructors around here. The response was Master Liao, so that's how I came upon this site. ^.^

Do you know anything about Master Liao? Alternatively, do you know of any other decent taiji instructors/masters in the Chicago area? Perhaps I should move some of these questions to another section of the forum...?

Seeking Silence

Edited by SeekingSilence

Can't say I know anything about the man. :) I suppose there are some good Tai Chi people around here. I've mostly been into Aikido. Chicago has many great schools, a wide variety of Aikido styles.

Truth is the last few years I've been laying low, not seeking much of anything, feathering the nest, taking care of younglings. I went to a Fusions I- IV class at Winn's Tao Mountain last year. It was taught by Masahiro, he was certainly the best Tai Chi person I've ever seen live. He didn't teach it there, but if you came to class very early you could watch him practice. The movements were natural, balanced and effortless.

You can pick up the flavor and philosophy of Tai Chi from a book, but I don't think you can learn it without the feedback of a teacher. Some Chi gungs forms are simple enough to learn from a video, but even then a live teacher help is invaluable.

Michael

To give a bit more detail to you (since you are actually responding):

I'm particularly interested in studying a martial art (preferably Chinese). Taiji, like many other "internal" or "soft" arts, does have its martial applications, and a friend said I should check it out. Finding an instructor even for the non-martial aspects of the art ought to have been easy, but then I got picky (and a bit of a purist), not wanting to get a teacher that A. didn't know what he was doing and/or B. had watered down the art. There's a retired Liuhe Bafa master around here that I've considered contacting, but I'm not sure yet about that option.

Any thoughts on my rambling?

There's a retired Liuhe Bafa master around here that I've considered contacting, but I'm not sure yet about that option.

Any thoughts on my rambling?

If that retired Liu He Ba Fa master is Way Lun Choi, I've only heard good things about him, that he's a top notch martial artist. Only does private lessons, I think he's going for $250/hr now.

If that retired Liu He Ba Fa master is Way Lun Choi, I've only heard good things about him, that he's a top notch martial artist. Only does private lessons, I think he's going for $250/hr now.

Sounds a bit steep to me...

Sign in to follow this