Sign in to follow this  
Ant

TCM properties of Chia seeds?

I'm aware that China didn't traditionally have Chia seeds, but if they were a part of TCM, I'm curious as to what area they might fit under? I've been having a few tablespoons on my breakfast for the past month or so and I'm loving them.

I've got some kidney Yin deficiency (which seems to correlate with the concept of "adrenal fatigue") going on and I have struggled with hypoglycemia, especially in the mornings. I'm finding Chia to be a great breakfast food, I don't feel a dip in my blood sugar until early-mid afternoon. Now I've become interested in what the long term benefits of them may be as well, hence my question..

I've read that they contain some of the minerals that can be deficient in cases of adrenal fatigue, such as magnesium and zinc (my science knowledge is pretty limited unfortunately).. I'm wondering if Chia, from a TCM perspective, may help to tonify Kidney energy? They are predominately black in color too, which is interesting..

I do take a small amount of Kidney Yin tonic herbs, and now I'm wondering if it might also be good to investigate some mineral supplements too..

So what are the Taobums thoughts on Chia? :)

I'm aware that China didn't traditionally have Chia seeds, but if they were a part of TCM, I'm curious as to what area they might fit under? I've been having a few tablespoons on my breakfast for the past month or so and I'm loving them.

I've got some kidney Yin deficiency (which seems to correlate with the concept of "adrenal fatigue") going on and I have struggled with hypoglycemia, especially in the mornings. I'm finding Chia to be a great breakfast food, I don't feel a dip in my blood sugar until early-mid afternoon. Now I've become interested in what the long term benefits of them may be as well, hence my question..

I've read that they contain some of the minerals that can be deficient in cases of adrenal fatigue, such as magnesium and zinc (my science knowledge is pretty limited unfortunately).. I'm wondering if Chia, from a TCM perspective, may help to tonify Kidney energy? They are predominately black in color too, which is interesting..

I do take a small amount of Kidney Yin tonic herbs, and now I'm wondering if it might also be good to investigate some mineral supplements too..

So what are the Taobums thoughts on Chia? :)

Hey Ant

I'm a TCM student at the moment, and yes Kidney yin def is definitely related to adrenal fatigue, so its good to hear your taking herbs for that! As you said Chia seeds are not a traditionally Chinese thing so you have to apply the principles as you seem to have done to sort of figure it out. You are correct in stating that since they are black this does relate to the kidney. Also the fact that they are seeds tends to suggest a kidney relation as well. You seem to have a good insight into this. ;)

I usually soak chia seeds in some water for about 10 minutes until they get gelatinous, then drink it. When I eat them like this it feels slightly cooling on my body. For example, I had no urge to make this drink in the winter, but in the summer I love it. Also, it doesn't seem to have a dampening effect on my body at all. In fact, I think it may help to drain dampness. I'll admit I started drinking chia fresca after reading Born to Run. Its what the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico drink during 100 mile runs, but I believe they also add fresh lime juice. I can't eat or drink anything even remotely dampening within a few hours of a long run, but I can drink a liter of chia fresca and be fine. Sometimes I increase the ratio of chia seeds to water, to the point that its like jello. Then I add some honey and eat it like jello. Its incredibly invigorating.

Hey Ant

I'm a TCM student at the moment, and yes Kidney yin def is definitely related to adrenal fatigue, so its good to hear your taking herbs for that! As you said Chia seeds are not a traditionally Chinese thing so you have to apply the principles as you seem to have done to sort of figure it out. You are correct in stating that since they are black this does relate to the kidney. Also the fact that they are seeds tends to suggest a kidney relation as well. You seem to have a good insight into this. ;)

Ah that's interesting, I wasn't aware of the seeds/kidney relation.... It fascinates me to think of how deep the Chinese have gone with describing the energetic properties of each herb and food.. Yes my TCM doctor has me on some Yin/Jing tonics but as you know it's a gradual process. I also have liver qi stagnation so I can only take a small amount of tonic herbs, due to their "sticky" nature.. So I take them together with Xiao Yao San to ensure that the liver qi doesn't stagnate further..

I can definitely feel the effects when I have to much tonic herbs, the stagnant areas tighten up immediately. But I don't feel this with Chia seeds. They are part of the mint family so perhaps they are even beneficial to liver qi? I've read somewhere on the internet that they "tonify qi", but I'm not so sure of what that really means..?

Runner11 yeah they are pretty invigorating, expensive too! But well worth it, I'm not a runner but I do notice they give me a spring in my step, but no sign of a stimulating "buzz" that you burn out from later.. which to me is vital..

Sign in to follow this