Sign in to follow this  
Kongming

Taoism and Sacred Art/Music

Forgive me if this is a question that has been asked before, but I was wondering what the Taoist views on aesthetics, particularly as a spiritual tool, are? This can be applied to natural beauty and any art really, but specifically what I am interested in is what the Taoist view is on sacred art (particularly music) as a tool for inner cultivation or spiritual development is?

Now I know historically the Taoists employed the guqin as a means of inner cultivation, but where does other music fall? For example, would Taoists find the listening of mantras, Gregorian chants, Sufi dhikrs/nasheeds/naats, or Indian ragas as a conducive aid to spiritual development? I ask because I know in some traditions, such as Sufism or various forms of Hinduism, music is seen as a valuable aid, whereas in Buddhism (at least for monastics) there is a precept against listening to music (whether that is strictly for secular music or also includes sacred music I am not sure.)

So yea, essentially how does Taoism view the aesthetic experience in relation to spirituality and what is the Taoist view on sacred art and music? Valuable aid or something to become detached from and done away with?

In classical Taoism:

The Outer Nature In Mystical Te - about form and shape, the Principle of Li in Tao

Recognizing The True Form Of Things - about interpreting form

Taoist Flute Meditation

Wu Wei Awareness Training - applies flute meditation to wu wei training

I think one could differentiate between ritual and festive music. The festive music is lively and celebratory with big cymbals and bass drums, ritual and meditative music is more subdued.

I wonder what ancient Taoists would make of modern music, which fuses African rhythmic innovation with Western and Eastern harmony innovations. The emotion of it might be contrary to most of what was written in Confucian aesthetics of music, but this music was more ritual and worship music, rather than festive and celebratory music. I think there is a place for modern music in society and (thus) Daoism, though not necessarily in the daily life of monastic monks who are trying to go beyond all worldly attachment.

It can be a distraction, and music that is "[overly] lustful" has been especially denigrated by critical mentions of music, but, many Daoists practice ingesting of vitality-tonics to raise their energy for transmutation, so why not utilize rhythm and soul for energy enhancement?

Thanks for the information, though in response to Harmonious Emptiness, I wasn't really concerning myself with modern music, though I suppose it could still apply. Specifically I was wondering what Taoist philosophy has to say of sacred music, meditative music, or the use of music as a tool for inner cultivation. Based on what I've read about the guqin and its relation to Taoist aesthetics and use for inner cultivation, they did indeed believe music could be used for that purpose, but really I was hoping to perhaps find a book or more detailed information on the subject.

Forgive me if this is a question that has been asked before, but I was wondering what the Taoist views on aesthetics, particularly as a spiritual tool, are? This can be applied to natural beauty and any art really, but specifically what I am interested in is what the Taoist view is on sacred art (particularly music) as a tool for inner cultivation or spiritual development is?

The sounds of Nature to the ear of the Taoists are the sacred art of music.

The whisper of the winds, the sound of the waterfalls, the birds calls, and etc. All these sounds have a peaceful touch added to the tranquil mind of a Taoist while observing the natural beauty of the universe.

Sign in to follow this