Sign in to follow this  
Dzogchen

Appetite help- Intense appetite cravings out of nowhere

Hello everyone. Please allow me to say this is my first real post. I have been "practicing" a unique lifestyle ever since I had a Kundalini awakening over 10 years ago that is a combination of many different aspects of Buddhism, Taoism, Kundalini, Tantra, ect. Basically I have taken a bit from here, a bit from there as I have seen work best for me and I seldom have any problems, hence me never posting. I am now currently having intense food cravings that just come out of nowhere and looking for a little advice.

I have fasted many times during the past decade, specifically the past 5 years and I have had no problems with doing any detox or fasts. I have gone for over 7 days easily before after one experience I went through that was water only nothing else, and I felt great. I am usually on a familiar diet of mostly Superfood smoothies containing sprouted quinoa, raw cacao, spirulina, flax seeds, maca root, with whole raw (not blended) almonds and goji berries for snacks, plus fresh sashimi grade tuna from local store (I'm very close to the ocean) about once a week.

About ten weeks ago I started eating more and more meat, food from "regular" (not fast food) restaurants and some junkfood. I didn't think much of it, I will go through times where I am not 100% consistent with my regular diet, but things have progressively got worse and I now find myself with intense cravings for food almost all day long.

I have not really been like this before and there is nothing I can recall that has changed in my life that would cause this. It is becoming a problem because these cravings are very intense and I usually have a lot of self-control. I find myself at all hours of the day with very vivid cravings for food. I know my body well and this isn't some protein deficiency or anything, it seems more mental than anything. When I do not eat it is constantly on my mind driving me crazy until I eat something, and even then I only curb my appetite for a short period of time before I start slowly going crazy for food again.

I don't know what is happening, it is very odd for me to want anything, especially food. I have tried many natural appetite suppressants with no luck and looking for any meditation practices or any advice at all on how to make these super intense cravings go away.

Thanks

have not really been like this before and there is nothing I can recall that has changed in my life that would cause this. It is becoming a problem because these cravings are very intense and I usually have a lot of self-control. I find myself at all hours of the day with very vivid cravings for food. I know my body well and this isn't some protein deficiency or anything, it seems more mental than anything. When I do not eat it is constantly on my mind driving me crazy until I eat something, and even then I only curb my appetite for a short period of time before I start slowly going crazy for food again.

I don't know what is happening, it is very odd for me to want anything, especially food. I have tried many natural appetite suppressants with no luck and looking for any meditation practices or any advice at all on how to make these super intense cravings go away.

Thanks

Eat food. Simple.

In your heart, you want food. You for some strange reason deny yourself the basic craving. What's wrong with eating food?

All the food is good. Your mind made it bad.

Sorry about my straight forward approach.

sounds to me like the restaurant food had some undesirable addictive chemicals in it. Are you craving that kind of food itself or just food in general? i was once told by a professional chemist that corn syrup stops the brain from knowing the body isn't hungry anymore. No sources or proof for that statement so it could be BS but i heard it from someone that seems to know their stuff

All the food is good. Your mind made it bad.

Sorry about my straight forward approach.

though i also agree with this. if you eat bad food it lessens the damage to forgive yourself for it. But some food is worth avoiding if you can

Hi Dzogchen.

I have two interpretations for your cravings;

1) your mind-body-spirit complex is asking for you to eat food for some reason and you need to respect it, but try and dos o with good quality food, and do so with awareness.

2) You activated alot of Samskaras (latent karmic mental impressions) which are manifesting themselves as a humungus craving for eating. In this case, you need to learn to feel Equanimous. How to do it? well first of all create a healthy eating timetable (say... three meals a day?) and DO NOT EAT OUT OF SCHEDULE. Second, when you feel a craving, sit in a meditation posture, preferably crossed legged so that you do not sleep, bring your awareness to you breathing, say, feeling the air touching the skin inside your nostrils, for example. and simply observe the craving for food, observe, observe, observe, like a scientist, eventually you will start observing it from a different point of view, and not be obssessed with it.. you will finally detach yourself.... probably you will start producing alot of saliva, let it acumulate in your mouth and swallow it... it means that you are feling desire... if you manage to stay equanimous, this desire will be converted into wisdom. If you react to this desire, by eating more and more like and animal, with no awareness, then you will simply create more Samskaras.

if you really need to eat alot, and it is really a kundlini symptom, then maybe you should go for the 2 1/2 interval between meals, but in this case the meals must be small in quantity, filling only 1/2 the stomach with food and 1/4 with fluid, leaving 1/4 empty, which means that you will NOT feel full after the meal.

If it is not a kundalini symtom and you do not actually have to eat alot, then you can eat some flaxseed poweder, say in te morning. the flax seed liberates some viscous oil that gives the feeling of being full and retards the digestion (not food for me because i am skiny).

hope I helped

best

Sign in to follow this