Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Float tanks

Anyone here play with a float tank? I wonder what a Taoist's experience in one might be like. I wonder because a Taoist is real "in the body" and a floater might tend to go out of body...on the other hand I dont know. I do know this thing looks fun, anyone?

Its been ... 20 years. I've done it twice. I'd like to try again. Nothing too mystical from either time. The second time was in a higher tech tank where they'd pipe in music and could hear you. Unfortunately I spent most of the hour having them change from CD to CD in order to find a perfect song.

Thus my desires thwarted any chance for deep mystical relaxation. The place had a crystaline water bed, that acted as huge speaker. That was nice. It had a bed used for paralysis victims that spun on its axis which was strangely relaxing.

These days I'll put half a box of baking soda into the bath with me, light a candle and mellow out. I'll often listen to my guided meditation tapes with a sand eye mask on, a sobakawa pillow on my stomach and 2nd pillow under my knees. Its not as good as my mispent time in the float tank, but it gets close :)

Michael

Whats not relaxing it putting in a half box of baking soda, a bottle of almond oil and a floating candle into the bath. Don't do it. One wave and the oil catches fire. All you can do is take a deep breath and go under. Don't even think about pulling out the water stopper, it will only bring the flames down closer to you. Ah, but that is a story for another time.

I did it once. I think it's an interesting thing to do, but it didn't do much for me.

First, I always felt the water was just a tad too cold (which might be more about my own body tempature than anything else).

Second, I seemed to drift into the sides a lot, which was a bit distracting (better when you're just floating in "open water").

Third, I always felt my neck wasn't comfortable -- that I should have had some sort of floating pillow (they provided one but it didn't really work for me).

The freakiest thing that happend (and frankly what made the experience most memorable) was that at some point I started freaking out that maybe there was some snake, etc in the tank that could attack me. Now mind you I'm in about 12 inches of still water and I've seen the whole tub before the lights went out. I knew it was a ridiculous fear, but it was STRONG. It was all I could do not to jump up and turn on the lights. Very weird.

Sign in to follow this