Sign in to follow this  
Yen Hui

The Taoist Canon and Copyrights

Greetings Fellow Wayfarers,

I'm a 40's something male who has been contemplating Taoist writngs for several years now. I feel deeply

drawn toward the Complete Reality School of Taoist Alchemy, but have no personal contact with any Taoist

masters, or "completely realized people", nor have any way of making personal contact with them. Nor am I

presently inclined toward regular attendance at a Taoist Temple, so it is difficult at best to delve deeply into

the practise of Taoist alchemical writings. However, I do have many questions which I hope this website will

help me with. At any rate, I agreed not to post copyrighted material, but will someone please explain to me

what the rule is on posting selected quotes from copyrighted translations of Taoist Canonical writings. Would

it be permissible, I mean, to quote, for example, Ware's translation of Ko Hung? Thanks for your assistance!

In the spirit of Tao,

Yen Hui

Welcome Yen Hui!

I think copyright law is one of the few things more esoteric than Taoist alchemy. :blink:Here is a helpful link with some "fair use" guidelines for helping you determine whether your reference to copyrighted material is protected from legal action. Which is unfortunately what it really boils down to. "Can I be sued for this?"

An even simpler rule of thumb that I use is:

"Am I quoting less than 20% of this work for the purpose of making not for profit social or educational commentary that does not reveal or detract from the essential nature of what makes the work of unique material value to it's owners."

IMO, if the answer is yes, you should be cool. But don't quote me on that. ;)

Anyway, again, welcome. I look forward to your contributions.

Sean

Sign in to follow this