Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

Trance Portation

I am about a quarter through this book so far and am loving it. I have no doubt it is probably one of the most thorough and comprehensive books on practical trance in existence. I highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Trance-portation-Learning-Navigate-Inner-World/dp/1578634059/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358088924&sr=8-2&keywords=Trance+portation

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations. Its right up my alley. I got the Josephine McCarthy book too. I realized I could get kindle app for my pc and just got them.

I have a comment on the content, which is generally good and informative. Perhaps someone here can explain more to me. In the book, she describes various forms of trance, hypnosis, moving with drums, etc. Also, she describes various visualizations that will create a representational metaphor of a home base, and journey method. I understand that perhaps if practised enough this will open gateways to "real" journeys, as opposed to creative visualizations while in a fairly good trance. But I think the specific quality of trance needed for journeying could have been better explained. She seems to fall back on stock information quite alot to fill the book. Trance is trance, I'm very often in trance but its not often an easy hop to some astral journey. For me, I pretty much have to be asleep, dreaming and get lucid again to find myself in a state where I can do some journeys, and that doesnt happen often. Its hard for me to believe that people can zonk out so easily. From full waking to trance journey just by plopping oneself on a chair. Is there a missing key?

Edited by de_paradise

I have a comment on the content, which is generally good and informative. Perhaps someone here can explain more to me. In the book, she describes various forms of trance, hypnosis, moving with drums, etc. Also, she describes various visualizations that will create a representational metaphor of a home base, and journey method. I understand that perhaps if practised enough this will open gateways to "real" journeys, as opposed to creative visualizations while in a fairly good trance. But I think the specific quality of trance needed for journeying could have been better explained. She seems to fall back on stock information quite alot to fill the book. Trance is trance, I'm very often in trance but its not often an easy hop to some astral journey. For me, I pretty much have to be asleep, dreaming and get lucid again to find myself in a state where I can do some journeys, and that doesnt happen often. Its hard for me to believe that people can zonk out so easily. From full waking to trance journey just by plopping oneself on a chair. Is there a missing key?

Not an expert, but i think practice is the key. I think Trance states are actually a lot easier to enter than people think. The more you empy yourself the easier it is to enter Trance.

My 2 cents, Peace

For me, I pretty much have to be asleep, dreaming and get lucid again to find myself in a state where I can do some journeys, and that doesnt happen often. Its hard for me to believe that people can zonk out so easily. From full waking to trance journey just by plopping oneself on a chair. Is there a missing key?

Not an expert, but i think practice is the key. I think Trance states are actually a lot easier to enter than people think. The more you empy yourself the easier it is to enter Trance.

My 2 cents, Peace

Yeah.

For me, the easiest natural way to journey is in hypnagogic states when I'm half asleep. Drumming tracks can be very powerful if you find a good one or even breathing patterns.

I've always liked Raven Kaldera's stuff (although I'm not into northern tradition shamanism so I can't really comment on that side of things) and found this article useful about getting into trance states:

http://www.northernshamanism.org/shamanic-techniques/altered-state/the-eightfold-path-to-altered-states-of-consciousness.html

With respect to astral travelling, I had a long conversation with somebody about this on another forum who was quite advanced in shamanism/animism. I don't tend to go out my body when journeying (although I have half twisted out of it a few times at different times) and I think he was kind of the same although he could astral travel as well. When I journey it's more like altered states of consciousness -- I wouldn't describe this as just creative visualisation though. It's a bit like looking at the moon from the earth and exploring it through a telescope rather than getting in a spaceship and landing on it, although it's a bit of a fine line which tends to blur when I'm deep in a trance state, I guess.

I'm not familiar with Paxson's work so I don't know quite what she says in her books. I seem to remember she's into traditional heathenry etc so she probably hates Raven Kaldera lol

Edited by Reed

Sign in to follow this