konchog uma

Tibetan Arts of Love

since the recent resurgence of pick-up artist content, i thought i would post about an actual role-model lol.

Gedun Chopel (or Gendun Chophel), subject of the movie

, left his vows and monastery behind and went to India to live a very colorful life. He is regarded by many as the foremost Tibetan intellectual of the 20th century, and is probably most known today for his book "Treatise on Passion", which has been translated into english by Jeffrey Hopkins and published by Snow Lion as Tibetan Arts of Love. I will quote from the back cover:

"This book presents in lucid detail the sixty-four arts of love, divided into eight varieties of sexual play - embracing, kissing, pinching and scratching, biting, moving to and fro and pressing, erotic noises, role reversal, and positions of love-making. It includes a complete and unexpurgated translation of "Treasise on Passion" [...] Gedun Chopel traveled to India where he learned Sanskrit and studied the Kama Sutra, yet his rendition of the arts of love is more evocative and more accessible than the erotic tomes of India. He gives titillating advice to shun inhibitions, describes sexual acts in detail, shows how to use sexual pleasure to enhance spiritual insight, and explains how to increase female sexual pleasure. With a mutually supportive ethic of love as a foundation, he speaks eloquently of the equality of women and their victimization by social and legal codes. An over-arching focus is sexual ecstasy as a door to spiritual experience and fundamental mind; the sky experience of the mind of clear light pervades the scintillating descriptions of erotic acts. Tibetan Arts of Love also includes a robust introduction by Professor Jeffrey Hopkins [...] The introduction begins with an account of Gedun Chopel's fascinating life story. Hopkins then brings together material scattered throughout the text to reveal its major underlying themes. He also describes in detail the psychology of Highest Yoga Tantra in which the mind of orgasmic bliss is used for realizing the final nature of reality. The introduction and translation combine to make this a highly accessible, engaging, and provocative exploration of the erotic arts."

I just got a copy yesterday from paperbackswap.com although it is generally available inexpensively.. have looked through it a little with my lady love, and found what we did read to be very fascinating and different from anything else out there in significant ways. Seems to be very worthwhile so far, so i thought i would share!

Edited by anamatva

anamatva, thanks for posting this. And glad to hear other TaoBums are on Paperbackswap.com! [i've gotten 223 books so far from paperbackswap for the cost of postage]

How much information does the book contain on meditations / practices to move, apply, refine sexual energy? And are any of the descriptions sufficiently detailed that one could practice them?

sorry for the delay alchemistgeorge, i didnt see your reply til now

i am still reading the rather incredible bio of gedun chophel, and haven't gotten to the practices yet. I am not sure what information on the highest yoga tantra or other tibetan ways of unifying lovemaking and spirituality will be contained.. as i uncover that, i will post it here.. you shouldn't have to wait long.