Sign in to follow this  
johndoe2012

Taoist Internal Alchemy

3. Partners

The process of disciplining your heart, for the practitioners, is the monotonous practice at beginning, still more for the common people. From now and then to be encouraged and get more morale will consolidate your resolution and strengthen you more confidences. On other side, during the process there will be many crises waiting for you to go through, and so the assistance from the comrade is necessary or even indispensable.

I dunno about this. I'm not denying how helpful it can be, but I don't know if it's necessary.

If it is I'm in trouble. :P

Psychologically speaking you lower your suffering when talking about issues that are troubling you. It is like taking the lid of a pressure cooker.

Conversing about things will also make you more aware of yourself and your reactive side.

I don't think all of this can be replaced by online fora because a basic friendship between two people can assist one another in keeping momentum in one's practise and life in general.

I don't really disagree with any of that - having a "real life" friend to talk to and work with is certainly ideal. But I don't think ideal equates to necessary.

None of my "close" friends are into this kind of thing, so I have to go to the interwebs if I want conversation about it.

Cat Pillar, necessary no, beneficial maybe for some at certain points in their journey.

I think placing too much importance on what others say is dangerous because you already have access to your intuition which can give you the answers you need, unless it is somehow blocked.

Basically one shouldn't even think too much about this because you are where you are with the tools you need.

Good points. :)

• Like 1

"A cultivator without a teacher has a fool for a student".

[Grandmaster Chang]

There's a tried and tested model for this sort of thing and discipleship is its first step.

Web sites, DVDs and the YouTube can neither advise nor correct at the point where those are needed,i.e. 'hen'. Seeking advice ater the event from someone who was not with you during events is less than satisfactory.

Many cannot get to a teacher so one does what one can but at best that can only ever be second best to the traditional path.

GrandmasterP,

Teachers ARE really important, that I personally don't dispute at all. I think this was more about friends and companions then teachers, though.

I'm going to one of Ya Mu's workshops in November to receive the lineage transmission in Stillness-Movement, and I took a workshop in Kunlun from Max.

Sign in to follow this