Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Chuang Tzu Chapter 7, Section C

Section C

Tian Gen, rambling on the south of (mount) Yin, came to the neighbourhood of the Liao-water. Happening there to meet with the man whose name is not known, he put a question to him, saying, 'I beg to ask what should be done in order to (carry on) the government of the world.' The nameless man said, 'Go away; you are a rude borderer. Why do you put to me a question for which you are unprepared? I would simply play the part of the Maker of (all) things. When wearied, I would mount on the bird of the light and empty air, proceed beyond the six cardinal points, and wander in the region of nonentity, to dwell in the wilderness of desert space. What method have you, moreover, for the government of the world that you (thus) agitate my mind?' (Tian Gen), however, again asked the question, and the nameless man said, 'Let your mind find its enjoyment in pure simplicity; blend yourself with (the primary) ether in idle indifference; allow all things to take their natural course; and admit no personal or selfish consideration - do this and the world will be governed.'

Edited by Marblehead

天根閒遊殷山的南面,來到蓼水河邊,正巧遇上無名人而向他求教,說:“請問治理天下之事。”

無名人說:“走開,你這個見識淺薄的人,怎麼一張口就讓人不愉 快!我正打算跟造物者結成伴侶,厭煩時便又乘坐那狀如飛鳥的清虛之氣,超脫於'六極'之外,而生活在什麼也不存在的地方,居處於曠達無垠的環境。你又怎麼 能用夢囈般的所謂治理天下的話語來撼動我的心思呢?”

天根又再次提問。 無名人說:“你應處於保持本性、無所修飾的心境,交合形氣於清靜無為的方域,順應事物的自然而沒有半點兒個人的偏私,天下也就得到治理。”

Tian Gen(天根) rambling on the south side of Mount Yin and came to the riverside of Liao Shui River. It happens to be meeting a nameless person and asked for his help, said: "May I ask you how to take care the affairs of the world."

The nameless said: "Go away! You are such a person with so little knowledge, how dare you to open your mouth to make someone so unpleasant! I am just planning to have the Creator of all things to be my life partner. When I am bored, I go for a ride on the bird-like absolute hollow chi, transcend beyond the "six extremes" and live on a place where there has nothing existed; dwell in a vast and boundless environment. How can you use some dreamless words like ruling the world to disturb my thoughts?

Tian Gen again repeated the question. The nameless said: "You should maintain your innate self. In your undisturbed heart, integrate the form and chi in the realm of absolute tranquility and Wu Wei; follow the natural path of all matters but has none of your individual selfishness. Then, the world will be able to be governed.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sign in to follow this